University of Rochester Medical Center Groups
The University of Rochester Medical Center has a number of groups that support inclusion and diversity among faculty, residents and fellows, students and staff.
Women in Medicine Science Faculty
This group offers programs designed to bring together medical school women faculty researchers – basic, clinical and translational – to meet each other, develop new collaborations and formulate plans for future events that will support and facilitate women researchers. Contact - Catherine E. Ovitt, PhD.
Junior Women Research Faculty Group | Junior Women Clinical Faculty Group
These two groups offer programs designed to promote the career development of women faculty members who are early in their career paths. They offer workshops and networking opportunities that help develop skills such as negotiation and work/life balance. Contact:
Events for underrepresented minority faculty
The Office for Inclusion and Culture seeks to provide opportunities that help to connect minority faculty, trainees, graduate students and medical students. These are often opportunities to meet, eat and get to know colleagues in a casual, friendly setting, helping to further a cohesive and supportive community. Contact Evelyn Parker if you would like to have your name added to the mailing list.
For Residents and Fellows
Association of Minority Residents and Fellows (AMRF)
The Association of Minority Residents and Fellows (AMRF) provides opportunities for fellows and residents to meet each other, share and collaborate. If you would like more information or to be added to the group's mailing list, please contact Adrienne Morgan, Ph.D.
For School of Nursing (faculty, students and staff)
The School of Nursing has a number of groups for its faculty, students and staff. Go to the School of Nursing Diversity website for a complete list and more information.
Some organizations that may be of special interest to students interested in inclusion and culture or diversity issues are listed here. For additional information, contact Emily E. Anderson in the Offices for Medical Education.
- American Medical Women's Association (URSMD)
- Asian-Pacific Medical Students Association (APAMSA)
- Center for Advocacy, Community Health, Education and Diversity (CACHED)
- Finger Lakes Community and Migrant Health Care Project (FLCMHCP)
- Global AIDS Involvement Network (GAIN)
- Islamic Medical Association of North American University of Rochester Chapter
- Rochester Medical Accessibility Coalition (RMAC) - a student led affinity group open to people with disabilities and allies.
RMAC mission is to:
- Understand the challenges that people with disabilities face in both accessing healthcare and medical training
- Support members of the URMC community with disabilities
- Conduct outreach to ameliorate disparities that individuals with disabilities encounter in healthcare settings
- Advance cultural humility in medical education
- Student National Medical Association (SNMA)
- Students for Integrative Medicine
The University of Rochester has a number of affinity and networking groups. These include:
For more information, see the University of Rochester Affinity Groups web pages.