The University of Rochester, in collaboration with other teaching hospitals in the community, has developed a syllabus and self-study program with a post-test component, which has met the Department of Health and State Education Department requirements. New York State Certification is provided upon completion.
In August 1992, legislation passed requiring certain health professionals in New York State to obtain approved training in infection control and barrier precautions. These professionals include physicians, registered physician assistants, specialist assistants, registered & licensed practical nurses, dentists, dental hygienists, optometrists, and podiatrists. Initial training was to have been accomplished by JULY 1, 1994. Training needs to be retaken every four years. Professional staff new to the Medical Center are responsible for meeting these training requirements.
Documentation of this training is required for:
- Hospital credentialing process for physicians, PAs, NPs, CRNAs, and mid-wives
- Renewal of professional licenses for nurses and other healthcare professionals
Six basic core elements for this training include:
- Professional Responsibility for Infection Control
- Transmission and Control of Infection in Health Care Settings
- Use of Engineering and Work Practice Controls
- Selection and use of Barriers and Personal Protective Equipment
- Principles and Practices for Cleaning, Disinfection and Sterilization
- Prevention and Control of Infectious and Communicable Diseases in Health-Care Workers
Infection Control Online Self Study Training Program
Click on the following link to review the Infection Control Training Syllabus:
Infection Control Self Study Syllabus
- Register by logging on the 2017 Infection Control course.
- Complete the registration process, including payment by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover).
- Complete the online exam
- This exam will need to be completed in one sitting.
- Successful completion of this course requires a score of 80% or greater.
- If a score of 80% is not received you will be prompted to re-take the exam until a passing grade is obtained.
- Certificates of Successful Completion will be available for download immediately following completion of the course. Participants must download and save or print certificates before exiting the course.
- Please remember to send a copy of your certificate to your credentialing office and to keep a copy for your records.
Certification for this course is valid for a period of four (4) years from the date of program completion.
If you have any questions, please contact:
University of Rochester
Center for Experiential Learning
601 Elmwood Ave, Box 709
Rochester, NY 14642
Fees (Includes Training and Certification)
University of Rochester Employees or persons who have admitting/attending privileges at Strong Memorial Hospital
University of Rochester Finance Forms