Essentials of Fetal Monitoring
Using NICHD nomenclature, the Essentials of Fetal Monitoring program quickly and effectively teaches and reinforces obstetric care providers the essentials of fetal heart rate monitoring interpretation and fetal physiology. Our online program is ideal to supplement nursing education in preparation for EFM-certificate exams and is eligible for 15.0 CNE Contact Hours (100% EFM, 25% Rx) for certificate, certification, and license maintenance.
Access Options for Individual Professionals and Groups
Individual access includes 15.0 CNE contact hours and access to the program for one year.
Group purchases include unlimited access for up to 30 participants for one year. CNE contact hours are available to group participants at a discounted rate.
Essentials of Fetal Monitoring Program Overview
Upon completion of the Essentials of Fetal Monitoring program, the learner will be able to:
- Discuss normal perinatal physiology.
- Identify factors that place the fetus at risk.
- Select appropriate fetal heart rate (FHR) monitoring methods.
- Define components of systemic assessment of FHR monitoring information.
- Define normal and abnormal uterine activity.
- List factors affecting FHR monitoring interpretation.
- Discuss physiologic interventions.
- Describe communication and documentation responsibilities.
- Analyze fetal monitoring information, using a systematic approach to interpret components of FHR in actual cases.
- The Goal of Fetal Heart Rate Monitoring
- Extrinsic and Intrinsic Factors and their Impact on the Fetal Heart Rate, including:
- Maternal Factors
- Amniotic Fluid
- Umbilical Cord
- Autonomic Nervous System
- Fetal Acidosis and Umbilical Cord Gas Assessment
- Intrapartum Assessment, Leopold Maneuvers, and Uterine Activity
- Fetal Heart Rate Baseline, Variability, and Accelerations
- Fetal Heart Rate Decelerations, Sinusoidal and Sinusoidal-Like Patterns, Categories, and Dysrhythmias
- Antepartum Testing
- Fetal Monitoring in the Complex Patient, including:
- Multiple Gestation
- Fetal Anomalies
- Medically Compromised Patients
- Team Communication and Documentation
- Comprehensive Post Test with multiple attempts
After completing the Essentials of Fetal Monitoring program, each participant can complete the post test, which includes 11 clinical case studies each with fetal heart rate tracings for interpretation. After submitting and completing the post test, a printable certificate of competition is available immediately.
Participants have the opportunity to earn 15.0 CNE Contact Hours upon reviewing the course materials and successful completion of the review test. CNE contact hours are included with each individual access purchase and are available at a discounted rate for active group participants.
How to Purchase
- Click here to enroll online through our store. Using a promo code? Apply any active promotional code directly at checkout to save!
- Complete and return our Essentials Registration Form with payment.
Essentials of Pain Management
Essentials of Inpatient Obstetric Nursing Care
Essentials of Newborn Care