School & Student Resources
Student Tutorial - An Introduction to Fetal Monitoring
PeriFACTS® has developed an online tutorial that introduces students to the basics of fetal heart rate monitoring interpretation. Since 1991, one of our goals has been to encourage communication and use of the same terminology among obstetric care providers. We currently use the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development's (NICHD) nomenclature for fetal heart rate interpretation. We are proud to provide an affordable program for instructors to introduce fetal monitoring to their students.
Upon completion of the periFACTS® Student Tutorial, the learner will be able to:
- List the characteristics of uterine activity.
- Describe components of a fetal heart rate (FHR) tracing.
- Determine the FHR baseline.
- Describe FHR baseline variability.
- Identify early, late, and variable decelerations and explain their physiologic causes.
- Interpret FHR tracings.
- Describe appropriate interventions for FHR tracings.
- Introduction to Fetal Heart Rate Monitoring
- Fetal Monitoring Basics
- Uterine Contractions
- Fetal Heart Rate Baseline
- Fetal Heart Rate Variability
- Causes of Fetal Heart Rate Changes
- Fetal Heart Rate Decelerations — Early, Late, and Variable
- Interpreting Fetal Heart Rate Tracings
Student Tutorial - An Introduction to Fetal Monitoring 2.0 Program Preview
The Review Test reviews the information found in the reading materials and requires students to interpret fetal heart rate tracings. After successful completion of the online review test, a printable certificate of completion is available immediately and is also emailed to the student.
Certificate of Completion
Every student who successfully completes the Student Tutorial program will receive a certificate of completion sent directly to their email. This added benefit allows every student to easily add this achievement to their professional portfolios. This also provides an alternative method for students to provide proof of participation to their instructors. An alternate certificate of completion is also available upon successful completion attached to the review test and is accessible at any time with an active account.
Instructors can receive administrative access inside the learning management system to run reports and view student transcripts, to track and report participation for their group, at no extra cost.
Students: $25 per student with access to the program for one year.
Instructors: Only $25 per instructor for access for one year. FREE for one year with any paid student order from your school. See below for group purchasing options for an Instructor to receive the program for free.
How to Purchase
Groups can purchase access for an Instructor and choose a payment option for their Students. Creating a group account allows an Instructor to receive administrative access inside the learning management system to run reports and view student transcripts, to track and report participation, and is the only way for an Instructor to receive the program free of charge for one year.
- Option 1: Pre-paid access for a group - Schools can be invoiced for a specific number of Students and receive "Access Codes" for each student to independently register for a new account and waive the cost of the program upon successful registration. Schools can pay by check or credit card by requesting an invoice for a specific number enrollments.
- Invoice Requests: To request an invoice, call 1-800-285-2366 or email us with the total number of Instructors (FREE) and the total number of paid Students ($25 each). No service fees apply.
- Option 2: Self-pay groups - Schools can request a custom registration link and require each student to pay for the program upon registering for an account.
- Self-pay group requests: To have each student pay for their access, you must request a custom self-registration link. To request a custom self-registration link for your students to pay out-of-pocket for their access, call 1-800-285-2366 or email us with the total number of Instructors (FREE) and your student's start date. We will respond within 2 business days with your custom link and instructions for your students to register. You will have unlimited registrations with a self-pay group. Each individual student is required to pay with a credit card at the time of requesting the program and will receive instant access to the curriculum upon successful account creation and purchase. No service fees apply.
- Option 3: Manual registration - Schools can forgo the self-registration process and have periFACTS register their students manually. Groups can request an invoice and a participant file (excel) to create their student accounts. A $50 service fee applies for all manual registrations groups per semester/quarter. This fee is only for schools who do not use the self-registration process (Options 1 and 2 above). Schools can pay by check or credit card by requesting an invoice for a specific number enrollments and by submitting a student participant data form. This participant form is an excel roster of your student 's nformation required to create each student's account. Each student will be registered in the program for one-year and receive a welcome email with instructions on how to access their account on your chosen start date.
- Invoice Requests: To request an invoice, call 1-800-285-2366 or email us with the total number of Instructors (FREE) and the total number of paid Students ($25 each), and a request for a group participant form. Your invoice will include a $50 service fee.
Individual Students and Individual Instructors:
- Individual access and account registration for a Student or Instructor can be purchased directly in our LMS HERE. This is ideal for any student or instructor who is only looking for access to the program for themselves and is not part of a group registering for this program. If you are looking to use this program for a group, please see the 'Groups' purchasing options above.
- NOTICE TO ALL STUDENTS: If you are required to take this course by your school, please contact your Instructor before purchasing this course using the above link. Your Instructor should have a custom link for you to register for this program. Your Instructor will not be able to track your account and particpation if you register for an individual account.
"I certainly appreciate this cutting edge program for students, given faculty load for teaching. Also, having the student periFACTS® program and support staff has helped me feel confident in students' foundational fetal monitoring skills and ability to pass NCLEX in that area."
- Professor Joanne Stevens, Ph.D., R.N., SUNY Brockport
"This was an invaluable learning tool. I am pleased to have it offered. I will use this program again."
- Professor Debra Franklin, R.N.C., Ohlone Community College