School & Student Resources
Student Tutorial - An Introduction to Fetal Monitoring
PeriFACTS® has developed an online tutorial that introduces students to the basics of fetal heart rate monitoring interpretation. Since 1991, one of our goals has been to encourage communication and use of the same terminology among obstetric care providers. We currently use the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development's (NICHD) nomenclature for fetal heart rate interpretation. We are proud to provide an affordable program for instructors to introduce fetal monitoring to their students.
Upon completion of the periFACTS® Student Tutorial, the learner will be able to:
- Describe components of a fetal heart rate (FHR) tracing.
- Determine the FHR baseline.
- Describe periodic and non-periodic FHR changes as they relate to accelerations and decelerations.
- Describe FHR variability.
- List the characteristics of uterine activity.
- Identify early, late, and variable decelerations and explain their physiologic causes.
- Describe appropriate interventions for FHR tracings.
- Introduction to Fetal Heart Rate Monitoring
- Determining Fetal Heart Rate Baseline
- Baseline Fetal Heart Rate Variability
- Causes of Fetal Heart Rate Changes
- Uterine Contractions/Intrauterine Pressure Catheter
- Fetal Heart Rate Decelerations—Early, Late, and Variable
- Interpreting the Fetal Heart Rate Tracing—What is Your Next Step?
The Review Test reviews the information found in the reading materials and requires students to interpret fetal heart rate tracings. After successful completion of the online review test, a printable certificate of completion is available immediately.
Certificate of Completion
Every student who successfully completes the Student Tutorial program will receive a certificate of completion sent directly to their email. This added benefit allows every student to easily add this achievement to their professional portfolios. This also provides an alternative method for students to provide proof of participation to their instructors. An alternate certificate of completion is also available upon successful completion attached to the review test and is accessible at any time with an active account.
This program is available to School Instructors and Students for $20 per person with access to the program for one year.
How to Purchase
Individual access for a Student or Instructor can be purchased online in our store.
Group access for Instructors and Students can be purchased online in our store or by requesting an invoice.
Invoice Requests: To request an invoice, call 1-800-285-2366 or email us.
"I certainly appreciate this cutting edge program for students, given faculty load for teaching. Also, having the student periFACTS® program and support staff has helped me feel confident in students' foundational fetal monitoring skills and ability to pass NCLEX in that area."
- Professor Joanne Stevens, Ph.D., R.N., SUNY Brockport
"This was an invaluable learning tool. I am pleased to have it offered. I will use this program again."
- Professor Debra Franklin, R.N.C., Ohlone Community College