Plan for Moving Forward: COVID-19
APRIL 30, 2020: Our efforts to flatten the curve during this COVID-19 crisis appear to be working. Social distancing, isolation, and universal masking seem to be making a difference and the number of new COVID-19 patients has stabilized. So we have started planning the next steps for Jones Memorial and our patients.
As we slowly and carefully ease restrictions, we will be working with the Allegany County Health Department to monitor for any spikes in COVID-19 in the county. Dr. Kevin McCormick, the medical director at Jones Memorial, described the plan as “turning the dial a little at a time, observing to assure no harmful effects, and moving forward gradually.”
This week we will start the first phase of our “new normal” measures. We are expanding the number of patients being seen in the Jones Memorial Medical Practices, and will begin scheduling a limited number of elective surgery procedures.
When you come to the hospital or one of the medical practices, it will not be “business as usual.” Adjustments have been made in every area to ensure the safety or our patients and our staff. Here are some of the things you can expect:
- Universal Screening & Masking: You will be asked questions about possible COVID-19 symptoms. Everyone who comes to the hospital will be provided a facemask if you do not have one. If you have a facemask, please wear it to your appointment.
- Staggered Scheduling: This will limit the number of patients in an area at one time. In addition, the time for appointments will be expanded to avoid patient overlap and ensure social distancing is maintained. If you arrive more than 15 minutes before your appointment you may be asked to wait in your car. If you are late for your appointment, it may need to be rescheduled.
- Telehealth: The providers in the Jones Memorial Medical Practices will determine which patients need to be seen in person and which are candidates for telehealth appointments.
- Registration Changes: In many cases, registration will be done over the phone prior to the appointment with signatures provided upon arrival if needed. For Medical Imaging exams, patients should go directly to the department to register.
- Limited Support People: We will continue to restrict support people accompanying patients to appointments. If you have a driver, they are asked to remain in the car and will be contacted when you are ready to leave.
- Additional Restrictions: If your provider, therapist, or technician has additional restrictions, they will call you before your appointment to discuss them.
It is very likely that COVID-19 will continue to be a part of our lives for some time. Working together and following these precautions, we can keep our community as healthy as possible.
If you have questions, please contact your provider’s office or the department where you will be receiving care.