William A. Greene was Professor of Medicine & Psychiatry at the University of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry. Receipt of the Dr. Greene's papers was facilitated by Robert A. Klein, M.D., a colleague on the Liaison Unit. The Greene papers were removed from his home on Robley Drive shortly after his admission to the St. John's Home. They were processed in February 1999, and are contained in nine document boxes occupying four linear feet. The most significant portions of this collection are the files pertaining to the American Psychomatic Society (boxes 4-6) and the files pertaining to his research on cardiac catheterization (boxes 7-8).
William A. Greene was born in Worcester, Mass. He graduated from Harvard College in 1936, and received his medical degree from Harvard Medical School in 1940. Greene interned at the Mary Imogene Basset Hospital in Cooperstown, N.Y. from 1940 to 1942, and then he entered the U.S. Army Medical Corps. He served as a member of the 41st Evacuation Hospital in the European theatre of operations. Upon discharge from the military (with the rank of major), Greene became an assistant resident at Strong Memorial Hospital. Between 1948 and 1950 he was a Commonwealth Fund Fellow in Medicine and Psychiatry at the University of Rochester Medical Center, and in 1950 joined the senior staff of the Medical-Psychiatric Liaison Group. Greene was made instructor in medicine & psychiatry in 1950; assistant professor in 1959; and full professor in 1967. His research focused on the correlation between psychological factors and disease. He was active in the American Psychosomatic Society (President, 1968). William A. Greene was married and the father of two children. He died in Rochester, N.Y. on 2 December 2000.