All URMC students are paired with a personal librarian who is their "go-to" person for help doing research, using library resources and finding answers to questions. Personal librarians don't simply supply the needed information; they work with students to find it.
• Medical students meet their personal librarian during Mastering Medical Information T&R sessions.
• Graduate students work with the liaison librarian for their department. Check Miner's Staff Directory to find the liaison librarian for your department.
• Nursing students are supported by Dan Trout, Liaison to the School of Nursing. Contact Dan at Daniel_Trout@urmc.rochester.edu or 276-3475.
Miner's Bioinformatics Specialist offers workshops, courses and one-on-one consultations for students who need help locating and utilizing the tools needed to process and analyze bioinformatics data. Sign up for a class or contact Helene McMurray, PhD at Helene_McMurray@urmc.rochester.edu or 275-6940.
Miner librarians can assist students who are writing research papers or dissertations by:
• assisting students in their initial research by recommending appropriate databases and helping devise effective literature search strategies.
• providing instruction on using RefWorks, EndNote or Mendeley to manage citations and format manuscripts.
• helping students format their citations in APA, AMA and other citation styles
Miner's Computing Center supports iPad deployment and use for medical students and School of Medicine & Dentistry faculty. See iPad Information & Support for detailed information about installing the URMC Profile, the Notability app and Box.com.
Miner's Computing Center also supports email accounts for School of Medicine & Dentistry medical and graduate students, and School of Nursing students. We also provide documentation for smartphone and desktop email clients. Accounts are automatically created and issued to all medical and graduate students. Nursing student accounts are created on request. For help call the Computing Center Help Desk at 275-6865 or see Student Email Help.
An on-call professional librarian is available 9 AM - 5 PM (Monday-Friday) to consult with you on any information need including using library resources such as PubMed, CINAHL, EndNote, RefWorks and Mendeley, formatting citations and bibliographies, and designing literature searches. You can reach the on-call librarian at 275-2487, Miner_Information@urmc.rochester.edu, or by visiting Miner Library.
Miner provides group and one-on-one instruction for all library-supported databases and technologies including EndNote, RefWorks, Mendeley, PubMed, Web of Science, CINAHL, Blackboard and bioinformatics tools. Contact your personal librarian to arrange instruction or visit Miner's Classes page to register for a session.
Journal articles and books not owned by Miner can be ordered from other libraries using the ILLiad system. In addition, if you are unable to come to Miner you can order copies of articles from Miner's older print journals using ILLiad. There is a small charge for this service. See Interlibrary Loan & Copy Service for more information.