Stress Management Tips for Holiday Family Get-Togethers
If relaxing and enjoying your family this holiday season and avoiding difficult family interactions are included in your goals, consider the following tips:
- Decide on boundaries--types of interactions, and the amount of time you will spend with difficult relatives. What discussion topics will you avoid? What past grievances will you discard?
- Talk to a friend, get support, and pledge to your friend that you will commit to your plan for a more memorable get-together.
- Ask your friend to be available as a listening ear if your visit lasts several days.
- Prepare for triggers. If Aunt Suzie always critiques the moisture content of your turkey, decide now how you will respond (or not respond).
- Afterward, celebrate successes with your friend and lessons learned about creating a smoother holiday.
The Life-Work Connections Employee Assistance Program is brought to you by Well-U, helping eligible individuals to assess issues, and provide short-term counseling and referrals.
Keith Stein |