This fruit-based dessert combines four varieties of oranges for a colorful, refreshing and light treat. Mangos are pureed to provide a balanced sauce for the fruit salad. Suggested garnishes include: toasted nuts, shaved dark chocolate, pomegranate arils, coconut or fresh mint.
(Note: Grapefruit can be substituted in this recipe. However, we will not use it in the class, since grapefruit can interact with common prescription medications.)
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 Cara Cara orange
- 1 navel orange
- 2 tangerines or clementines
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks, slightly thawed
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 Tbsp dark chocolate, shaved
- Using a sharp knife, remove peel and pith from blood oranges, Cara Cara orange, navel orange, and tangerines.
- Cut the fruit cross-sectional and divide into bite-size pieces. Remove and discard seeds. Reserve juice to use in mango puree. Place orange pieces into bowl.
- In a food processor (or blender), puree the mango, lime juice, and reserved orange juice until smooth.
- Pour mango puree into serving dish. Top with cut up oranges. Garnish, as desired.