This simple lentil soup recipe comes together quickly with some basic pantry ingredients. The lentils provide protein and dietary fiber and don’t require presoaking. The aromatic spices combine for a rich flavor. You can blend the soup to your desired consistency. It is finished off with leafy greens to add a touch of freshness. Suggested toppings include a dollop of your favorite pesto, toasted nuts or pistachio cream that we will be making today.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup yellow onion, chopped (about 1 medium)
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 ½ cups brown or red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth, preferably low sodium
- 2 cups water, adjust for desired consistency
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- Pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup chopped fresh leafy greens (Swiss chard, spinach or kale, tough ribs removed)
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, curry powder and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the drained, diced tomatoes.
- Add the lentils, broth and 1 cup water. Add salt, black pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- With an immersion blender, blend the soup slightly to breakdown the lentils, yet still maintaining some texture to the soup. Thin with additional water until desired consistency.
- Add the chopped greens. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the greens have softened to your liking.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
To make the pistachio cream, put the water, pistachios, lemon juice, and salt in a blender or food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Taste; you may want to add a bit more salt. Yields 1 ½ cups. Source: The Cancer Fighting Kitchen by Rebecca Katz.