This hearty and healthy whole-grain salad can be a side dish or entrée. It starts with farro, an ancient relative of modern-day wheat that is full of dietary fiber and is dressed with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Arugula adds a peppery bite to the salad and important phytonutrients, as it is a cruciferous vegetable. Turn this recipe into an entrée by topping it with grilled chicken or seafood, or make it a meatless entrée by tossing it with cannellini beans or chick peas.
- 1 ½ cups farro (¾ pound)
- 1/3 cup F. Oliver's Meyer Lemon EVOO
- 1/4 cup F. Oliver’s Italian Herb balsamic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 bunches of arugula (3/4 pound), stemmed and torn into bite-size pieces
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the farro until al dente, about 25 minutes. Drain well. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil and vinegar together and season with salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, arugula and dressing to the farro and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and serve at once.