A great way to enjoy locally grown sweet corn without heating up the kitchen by cooking it on the grill! This salad can be served as a side dish or on top of mixed salad greens for a main entrée. The kidney beans provide protein and dietary fiber. You can also substitute other types, such as black beans or pinto beans. The red pepper provides beta-carotene and vitamin C. Corn provides dietary fiber and leutin and zeaxanthin, types of carotenoids associated with eye health. It also is a rich source of a phenolic compound called ferulic acid, an anti-carcinogenic agent that has been shown to be effective in fighting the tumors which lead to breast cancer, as well as liver cancer.
- 3 cups
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 1 Tbsp herb-infused basting oil
- 1 cup kidney beans, drained, rinsed (about half of a 15 oz can)
- 1/2 sweet red bell pepper, cored, seeded, 1/4-inch dice
- ¼ cup red onion, peeled, 1/4-inch dice
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- Preheat grill on high. Reduce heat to medium. Place nonstick foil on grill.
- Brush corn with basting oil. Place on foil; grill corn, turning often, 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Wrap grilled corn in foil. Let stand for 5 minutes. Unwrap and cool for 5 minutes.
- Stand corn cobs upright on cutting board; cut kernels off cob by sliding knife vertically down the cob. Transfer to large serving bowl.
- Add kidney beans, diced red pepper, diced red onion, and cilantro to the large serving bowl.
- To prepare dressing, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over bean mixture; stir to combine. Garnish with diced avocado.