One of my favorite winter fruits is pomegranates. The bright red arils look like jewels and brighten any dish. The deep ruby color comes from anthocyanin- a potent phytonutrient. This recipe combines clementines, another seasonal fruit with the pomegranate arils to create a colorful and fresh salsa that can be served with baked pita chips or used as a topping for seafood or poultry.
- 1 ½ cups
- 3 clementines (or tangerines)
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 Tbsp finely minced shallots
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, mint or parsley
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp minced jalapeno pepper (optional)
- Peel clementines. Cut crosswise into 1/4” wide slices. Separate sections into bite-sized pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine clementines, pomegranate arils, minced shallots, chopped herbs, lime juice, salt, black pepper and jalapeno pepper, if using.
- Gently toss ingredients together. Let sit for at least 15 minutes before serving to allow flavors to blend.