This is a twist on a traditional “guac” recipe with the addition of an unexpected ingredient- green split peas! The cooked split peas add protein and dietary fiber for extra nutrition without taking away from the flavor or green color. This recipe has the added bonus of not discoloring as quickly as a traditional guacamole.
- 2 cups
- 1⁄4 yellow onion, small chop
- 1 cup cooked split peas (prepared according to package directions, drain well)
- 4 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 3⁄4 cup chopped tomatoes
- Optional: 1 jalapeno chili, finely chopped or 1⁄4 teaspoon red hot sauce; 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Put onions, cooked split peas, lime juice, cumin, coriander, garlic, parsley and salt into the bowl of a food processor and process until well blended and smooth.
- Cut avocados in half, remove pits. Scoop out flesh into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Mash avocados with the back of a fork to desired texture.
- Gently stir in blended ingredients from food processor.
- Stir in tomatoes, taste, and adjust seasoning. Chill and serve.
Laura Pole, Smith Center for Healing, Washington, D.C.