‘Parkinson’s Café’ Offers Education, Support
The Highlands at Pittsford Hosts Patients and Families for Social, Intellectual Interaction
Monday, October 07, 2013
People with Parkinson’s disease and their family members are invited to monthly gatherings of the Parkinson’s Café
at The Highlands at Pittsford
’s Hahnemann Club. Sessions meet one Thursday each month, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and feature continental breakfast, socializing, and two speakers on topics ranging from living with Parkinson’s to using music therapy for brain health.
Parkinson’s Café was founded in 2009 by Pittsford resident Lynn Schramek, four years after her husband Brad was diagnosed with the disease. Sessions are open to the public and free of charge and reservations are suggested but not required. Continental breakfast is provided and participants are asked to bring their own brown-bag lunches.
- Thursday, Oct. 17: Living with Parkinson’s, with Liz Schnucker, retired social worker who has Parkinson’s; and Life is a Ball of Humor, with Suzanne Feathers, community health educator, MVP Healthcare.
- Thursday, Nov. 21: Exercise and Adaptive Equipment, with Amy Steed, physical therapist, and Kathy Sebring, occupational therapist, Visiting Nurse Service; and Holiday Cooking Demonstration, featuring Chef Scott Swarner of The Highlands at Pittsford.
- Thursday, Jan. 16, 2014: Speech and Swallowing, with Meredith Rossborough, speech therapist for Visiting Nurse Service; and Questions and Answers with Michelle Burack, M.D., Ph.D., Department of Neurology, University of Rochester Medical Center.
- Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014: How Can Nursing Help? With registered nurses Sue Curtin, Sue Kobel and Barbara Zimmerman; and Brain Power for Everyday Living: Using Music Therapy to Promote Brain Health, with music therapist Maria Battista-Hancock.
- Thursday, March 20, 2014: LSVT (voice treatment) Loud and Big, with Meredith Rossborough, speech therapist, and Amy Steed, physical therapist for Visiting Nurse Service; and What You Should Know About Various Levels of Care, Home Care, and the Assistance of Geriatric Care Managers, with Alyssa Ferrigno, geriatric care manager of Seniors Choice Care Management.
- Thursday, April 17, 2014: Living with Parkinson’s, with Liz Schnucker, retired social worker who has Parkinson’s; and Taking the Mystery Out of Accessing Community Resources,” presented by Eldersource.
For more information or to make reservations, please call Alyssa Belasco at (585) 586-7600 ext. 289 or email Alyssa_Belasco@urmc.rochester.edu.