Jim Kelly to Keynote UR Medicine's dSports Summit on Aug. 1
Day-long conference draws national sports experts, tech innovators to present latest advice on athletic training and performance
Friday, July 07, 2017
Former Buffalo Bills quarterback Jim Kelly will be keynote speaker for UR Medicine’s dSports Summit on August 1 at the Memorial Art Gallery. The dSports Summit is a day-long exploration of the latest advances in athletic performance and training, plus new technologies and wearable devices that help athletes train smarter and improve their performance. The event is geared to athletes, coaches, trainers, physical therapists, and anyone who is passionate about sports.
UR Medicine launched the inaugural dSports Summit in 2016 to share its advances in sports medicine, technology innovation, data analytics, and research – and to showcase next-generation wearable devices and sports gear from leading manufacturers across the nation.
This year’s event will again feature cutting-edge technology, plus presentations on mindfulness, healthy nutrition, and good sleep practices. UR Medicine physicians and sports experts will discuss how these disciplines can help athletes improve their sports performance and well-being.
“Last year’s dSports Summit featured exciting sports technology developed at the University of Rochester and from leading athletic device companies,” said Michael Maloney, M.D., professor of Orthopaedics and chief of the Sports Medicine division and chair of the dSports Summit. “This year we’ll again have fascinating technology for participants to learn about and test in our technology expo area. We’ll also take a deeper look at how we can help athletes be physically and mentally healthy during their playing careers and throughout their lives. Sessions on mindfulness, nutrition, and sleep will provide important knowledge for high school and collegiate athletes as they venture into adulthood and take responsibility for their own health as well as their athletic results.”
Wegmans Food Markets’ certified nutritionists will join a panel discussion on nutrition advice for athletes, and its chefs will offer a live cooking demonstration on how to prepare quick, healthy meals and snacks. Erica Denman, owner and founder of Balance Fitness & Yoga will be among the experts discussing how mindfulness can help athletes improve their performance. Denman works with Webster School District athletes to teach yoga as their instructional specialist focusing on mindfulness. Local athletes will join the experts on these panel discussions to share their perspectives.
In addition to Hall-of-Famer Jim Kelly, the day features presentations and panel discussions from national experts in sports performance and training, including:
- William Moreau, Managing Director, U.S. Olympic Committee Sports Medicine Division
- Jason Batley, M.D., an orthopaedic surgeon who works with the U.S. Olympic Committee and has trained several medal-winning Olympian swimmers
- Dan Panaggio, a coach and talent scout for the National Basketball Association
- Brad Thyroff, a two-time Tennis All-American at Pittsford Mendon High School, former ATP world-ranked tennis player, and hitting partner for Venus and Serena Williams
- Leland Hardy, former professional boxer and sports agent whose clients included Ricky Williams and Venus and Serena Williams
The event includes a technology expo featuring sports device manufacturers, including:
- CurAegis Technologies, creators of the myCadian™ watch that assesses circadian (sleep) rhythms and health data
- Karma Wellness Water, leaders in delivering nutrients to vitamin water at maximum potency
- InteraXon, developers of the Muse headband that guides and improves meditation
- MC10, makers of wearable body sensors that capture health info and athletic potential
dSports Summit event sponsors include:
- CONMED, a Utica, N.Y.-based global medical technology company that specializes in the development and sale of surgical and patient monitoring products and services.
- Prodigy Surgical, Inc., a global medical device company and leader in new product development and medical education in orthopedics.
- Office of the Provost, and the Goergen Institute for Data Science, University of Rochester
A networking breakfast, lunch, and snacks are included with ticket purchase. Every participant will receive a gift bag filled with sports gear from UR Medicine.
The event is from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.; registration opens at 7:30 a.m. For tickets, sponsorship information, and more details on the event, visit the dSports web site.