Skip to main content
Explore URMC

menu
Noyes Health / About Noyes / News / Article

Diabetes Alert 2016

Monday, March 14, 2016

March 22nd is the American Diabetes Association’s (ADA) Alert day. The theme once again is “Take it”, the ADA diabetes risk test; “Share it”, share this test with those you care about; “Step out” start learning and start a healthy and active lifestyle and join one of the walks for Diabetes in your area.

According to the CDC, an estimated 29.1 million Americans have diabetes. Of this number, Type 1 diabetes affects 5% of the diabetic population and those with this type have no insulin production left in the pancreas. The remaining 95% have type 2 diabetes where either insufficient insulin is produced by the beta cells or the body’s cells have become resistant to the insulin and don’t use the insulin efficiently or both. In Livingston County, 10.2% of the population is diabetic, up from last years’9.5%! In addition, 86 million Americans have pre-diabetes, up from last years’ 79 million!

For those with pre-diabetes, your challenge is to take advantage of every opportunity to learn more about what can be done to either put off the progression to diabetes or not become diabetic at all.

For those with diabetes, your challenge is to meet the condition head on and take charge, do not let it take charge of you. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that only 40.6% of those with diabetes ever take advantage of the education which would help them self-manage the condition. Yet, insurance companies know that their participants with diabetes education have medical costs 2.3 times lower than the person who has not taken a diabetes course.

Livingston County has the resources you need close to home. The Noyes Hospital Diabetes Education Program is available in Dansville, Hornell, Geneseo and in four area physician offices. The program is recognized by the American Association of Diabetes Educators and staffed with two RN, Certified Diabetes Educators. There are individual appointments to begin and thanks to a rural health grant, 5 hours of free diabetes education classes which includes a free meal to help participants make better food choices

It is estimated that 8.1 million individuals have no idea they are diabetic. Find out if you are one of these individuals or at risk for diabetes. Take the test in this issue and find out. Be alert to your risk factors and discuss them with your physician.

Nancy M. Johnsen RN, CDE is a Certified Diabetes Educator and Community Health Education Coordinator at Noyes Memorial Hospital. Call 585-335-4355 today and start to take charge! Diabetes increases the risk for some significant health problems which include; heart disease, amputations, stroke, kidney damage, blindness, gum disease, nerve damage, and possibly dementia. Don’t be one of the statistics!

The Risk Test can also be found on the hospital website; www.noyes-health.org

Media Contact

Public Relations Department

(585) 275-3676

article hit counter