Living Healthy With Diabetes
YOU CAN MANAGE! If you have a diabetes diagnosis or you are caring for someone with diabetes, join us!
Living Healthy With Diabetes Workshops Help You
Feel better. Increase your energy and get relief from pain, fatigue, and difficult emotions.
Take control of your life. Helps you do the things you want to do each day.
Get connected. Learn from others who have similar health issues.
The Living Healthy with Diabetes workshop is a 6-session, peer-led health education program for people dealing with Diabetes. The Workshop compliments the health care participants may already be receiving. The purpose of the Living Healthy with Diabetes workshop is to enhance one’s skills and ability to manage their health and maintain an active and fulfilling lifestyle.
In addition participants learn or enhance their problem-solving and decision-making skills which enable them to confront the ever-changing challenges of living with Diabetes. The course is facilitated by two trained volunteers. Participants are invited to bring a family member, friend and/or caretaker.
- Session 1: What is diabetes? Overview of self-management. Monitoring. Introduction to healthy eating.
- Session 2: Formula for a healthy eating plan. Preventing low blood sugar.
- Session 3: Preventing/delaying complications. Introduction to physical activity. Dealing with stress. Muscle relaxation.
- Session 4: Dealing with emotions. Reading nutrition labels. Endurance activities. Guided imagery.
- Session 5: Depression management. Communication skills. Medication usage.
- Session 6: Foot care. Working with health professionals and the health care system. Planning for the future.
Program participants demonstrated improved health status, health behavior, and self-efficacy, as well as fewer emergency room visits at four months. At one year, the improvements were maintained and remained significantly different from baseline condition.
- Better communication with physicians
- Better coping strategies and symptom management
- Increased physical activity
- Reduced health distress
For more info: Call (585) 335-4358 or email email@example.com