We're glad you've chosen to give your new family a Strong Beginning! Listed below, you'll find a number of classes that we currently offer. To sign up for classes, please complete the registration form and send it to us at Strong_Beginnings_Education@URMC.rochester.edu. For more information, call the Strong Beginnings office line at: (585) 275-4058 or email us.
Orientation Class and Walking Tour
It is suggested that you register for this class approximately three months prior to your due date.
- Take part in a walking tour of the Obstetric Service at Strong Memorial Hospital.
- Watch a short slide presentation of the areas not included in the walking tour.
- Learn about what to expect during your hospital stay.
Fee: There is no charge for this class, however, a pre-registration is required.
Due to space constraints, registration is limited to two adults. Thank you.
- Thursday, September 28, 2017; 5:30pm-6:15 pm A/B Conference Room 2-1322 - Now Full
- Tuesday, October 10, 2017; 5:30pm-6:15pm A/B Conference Room 2-1322
- Tuesday, October 17, 2017; 5:30pm-6:15pm Lund Conference Room (3-3211)
Prenatal Newborn Care Class
In this class, you will learn about:
- Newborn appearance, behavior and reflexes
- Feeding your baby
- Caring for your newborn—including bathing, diapering, taking a temperature and cord care
- Safety—newborn safe sleep environment, car seat safety
- When to call the doctor
Effective June 1, 2017
There will be a small increase in the Prenatal Newborn Care Class effective June 1, 2017. Our mission is to provide the best educational resources for our Strong Beginnings Classes. We are excited to announce a new booklet for the class, which will help us to facilitate our mission. The new price for the Prenatal Newborn Care class is $35.00.
Fee: $30 includes mother and support person.
- Thursday, September 28, 2017; 6:30pm-8:30pm A/B Conference room 2-1322 - Now Full
- Tuesday, October 10, 2017; 6:30pm-8:30pm A/B Conference Room 2-1322 - Now Full
- Tuesday, October 17, 2017; 6:30pm-8:30pm Lund Conference Room (3-3211)
Prepared Childbirth Class and Tour
Childbirth Four Week Series Class
- October 2017 Series, on Wednesdays: October 4, 11, 18, 25, 2017; 6:30pm-8:30pm in the A/B Conference Room (2-1322); Fee $100.00
- November 2017 Series, On Tuesdays: November 7, 14, 21, 28, 2017; November 7, 14, 28 in the A/B Conference Room (2-1322) and November 21; 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. in the Lund Conference Room (3-3211); Fee $100.00
One Day Childbirth Class and Tour
This class is another option for expectant parents and covers all of the weekly series content in one full day.
- Saturday, September 23, 2017; 9:00am – 4:00pm, A/B Conference Room 2-1322 - Now Full
- Saturday, October 21, 2017; 9:00am – 4:00pm, A/B Conference Room 2-1322 - Now Full
- Saturday, November 18, 2017; 9:00am – 4:00pm, A/B Conference Room 2-1322 - Now Full
- Saturday, December 16, 2017; 9:00am – 4:00pm, A/B Conference Room 2-1322
Fee: $100.00 (includes mother and support person)
This class also includes tour of our Obstetric Service.
In conjunction with this class you may attend our Breastfeeding: Best for You, Best for Your Baby class for $5.00. This is a separate class and you must register for the Breastfeeding class online or call Strong Beginnings at 585-275-4058.
Registration must take place for all classes.
You will learn about:
- Process of labor
- Relaxation techniques
- Breathing techniques and positions for labor and birth
- Comfort measures, including medications
- Coach's role
- What to expect during your hospital stay
- Preparing for baby at home
Online Childbirth Class
Can’t come to class? We can come to you!
Our online childbirth class is the perfect alternative for expectant parents who can’t attend an on-site childbirth class due to work schedules, time constraints, or medical conditions. Have you given birth before? This online class is a great refresher course! While nothing can replace the personal connection of an on-site childbirth class, you’ll learn the same essential information.
The eight-chapter program is an interactive, web-based class that uses videos, personal birth stories, animations, activities, and games to teach all the essential information parents need to know to prepare for their birth.
Our online childbirth class will help you:
- Understand pregnancy – what’s happening to your body, discomforts, warning signs, nutrition, exercise, and more
- Learn about labor – preparing for birth, pre-labor signs, onset of labor, 3D animation of labor process, and more
- See how the stages of labor unfold – watch amazing real-life birth stories
- Discover helpful comfort techniques – breathing, relaxation, massage, visualization, focal points, hydrotherapy, labor and pushing positions, advice for partners , and more
Your Online Childbirth Class registration fee is $90.00 and grants you unlimited online access for 60 days. You can preview a demo here.
Please call and also register for our Orientation Class and Walking Tour.
Call today to register! (585) 275-4058
Breastfeeding: Best for You, Best for Your Baby
Today most women are choosing to breastfeed. Breastfeeding is the healthiest way to feed your baby. In this class, you will learn about the benefits for you, your baby and family. You will also learn about baby's feeding cues, feeding patterns, positioning techniques, and more. Additionally, we’ll discuss tools that promote confidence with your decision to continue breastfeeding successfully for when you return to work.
Fee: $35.00 (includes mother and support person), $5 for UR employees
Time: 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- Sunday, September 24, 2017; 1:00pm – 3:00pm in the Lund Room (3-3211)
- Sunday, October 8, 2017; 1:00pm – 3:00pm in the Lund Room (3-3211)
- Sunday, October 22, 2017; 1:00pm – 3:00pm in the Lund Room (3-3211)
- Sunday, November 5, 2017; 1:00pm – 3:00pm in the Lund Room (3-3211)
- Sunday, November 19, 2017; 1:00pm – 3:00pm in the Lund Room (3-3211)
- Sunday, December 3, 2017; 1:00pm – 3:00pm in the Lund Room (3-3211)
- Sunday, December 17, 2017; 1:00pm – 3:00pm in the Lund Room (3-3211)
This class is structured for children 36 months and up. If your sibling is under 36 months, our nurses can offer some helpful tips during your hospital stay. Each child attending should bring a doll or stuffed animal, and a photo of himself or herself as a newborn. Also, please encourage your child to bring a drawing of their family.
This class is ideal for children 3 to 10 years. You and your child(ren) will learn:
- What it will be like to have a new baby in the family
- Becoming a big sister or brother
- How a baby is born (using a book and a doll)
- What a new baby can do
- Short tour to see where mommy will be
Those children planning to attend the birth of their new sibling are encouraged to stay for an additional 30 minutes. We will be giving more information on the process of labor (using charts and drawings) and a family centered birth video will be shown.
Fee: $25.00 for first child, $5.00 for each additional child
- Saturday, September 23, 2017; 1pm-3pm, ACF- C – Conference Room-2-1361
- Saturday, December 16, 2017; 1pm-3pm, ACF- C – Conference Room-2-1361
This two-hour class focuses on grandparents learning about "today's baby". Join other grandparents and learn the newest recommendations on safe sleep, car seats, breastfeeding and more.
Fee: $25 for one or two persons
Marvelous Multiples Childbirth Class and Tour
Expecting twins or more? This interactive full day class is for you. In this class you will learn what to expect during your pregnancy, how to cope with possible complications and how to be prepared for your own delivery. Both vaginal and cesarean delivers will be discussed. We will also review postpartum, breastfeeding and your first weeks at home. The class includes a tour of the Obstetric Service and NICU units, as well as a guest from Greater Rochester Mothers of Twins Club(GRMOTC) a support group for mothers and mothers-to-be of multiples. You may bring a lunch or purchase in our cafeteria.
Fee: $50 includes mother and support person
- Wednesday, August 9, 2017; 6:00pm - 9:00pm, Thiede Room 2-2355
To register, please call the Strong Beginnings Office at (585) 275-4058 or, send the completed registration form to us at Strong_Beginnings_Education@URMC.rochester.edu. Upon registration, you will be sent written confirmation including class location information. In the event you need to cancel, refunds will be granted if you notify us 24 hours prior to your class. Class may be cancelled if fewer than 3 participants are registered.
Send payment by mail. Please make check payable to Strong Beginnings and mail payment to: Strong Beginnings Office, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 619-12, Rochester, NY, 14642. All payments must be received 2 weeks prior to class.
Directions to Strong Beginnings Classes (located in Strong Memorial Hospital)
Directions to the A&B Conference Room: from the hospital main lobby you will take the silver elevators to the 2nd floor. When getting off the elevators come midway down the balcony and turn left, the A&B Conference Room is on the right.
Directions to the Lund Room: from the hospital main lobby you will take the red elevators to the 3rd floor. When getting off the elevators follow the signs to the Lund Room.
Directions to the Thiede Room: from the hospital main lobby you will take the green elevators to the 2nd floor. When getting off the elevators follow the signs to the Thiede Room.
Directions to the Young Room: from the hospital main lobby you will take the red elevators to the 3rd floor. When getting off the elevators follow the signs to the Young Room.