'Meet YoUR Labs' Poster Session Sheds Light on Labs
The URMC Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine hosted its first ever public poster session in the North End of Cafe 601 on Tuesday, April 26.
All were welcomed to meet faculty and staff and learn more about laboratory careers, which, although they are largely behind the scenes, play a critical role in research and patient care. The event coincided with Medical Laboratory Professionals' Week.
UR Medicine Labs processes more than 6 million patient lab tests each year. The department is the second largest in URMC with over 900 total personnel, including 355 licensed lab professionals. The American Clinical Laboratory Association (ACLA) reports that lab tests guide more than 70 percent of medical decisions.
"Medical Laboratory Professionals are critical to the healthcare community," said Vicki Roberts, manager of education for Pathology and Lab Medicine. "The practice of medical laboratory science provides insight into a patient’s well-being, thus driving treatment forward, whether that means taking action or waiting to monitor his or her condition. All members of the laboratory community care deeply about the patient populations they serve."
The following posters showcased different department areas:
- Blood Bank and Transfusion Medicine
- Chemistry and Hematology
- Client Services
- Clinical Microbiology
- Clinical Trials Project Management
- Clinical Trials Kit Building
- Courier Services
- Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- Flow/Bone Marrow
- HLA/Tissue Typing
- Mass Spectrometry-Toxicology
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Outpatient Ridgeland Road Labs
- Pathology Locations
- Patient Blood Management
- Quality Assurance and Compliance
- Residency and GME Programs
- Specimen Management Systems
- Surgical Pathology Gross Room
- Surgical Pathology Sub Specialty Model
- Surgical Pathology-Ethiopia Project