How to Apply
We accept applications to the Master of Science Program in Marriage and Family Therapy throughout the calendar year for enrollment beginning in the Fall semester only. The number of applicants that we accept each year is limited, so we highly recommend applicants begin the application process as early as possible.
University of Rochester's Master's Application Timeline
For Admission to Fall 2022 Semester:
Applications that are complete or near completion will be considered for February 2022 interviews; rolling interviews and admissions until May.
May 1- Final Deadline for application completion, ongoing application review, interview dates and final consideration
May 31 - Offer of admission notices mailed
June 15 - Responses due for Offer of Admission
August 23-24 - New student Orientation
August 31 - Fall semester begins
Contact the Administrative Team for further information at MFT@URMC.Rochester.edu , or to schedule a remote conversation with the Program Co-Director, Jenny Speice, Ph.D.
*A complete application includes:
- Online application
- Statement of Purpose
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Official transcript(s)
- Official TOEFL (SOPHAS application code: 5688) or IELTS Scores For applicants whose native language is not English.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Applicants are required to provide official scores that are within 2 years of the original test date. Official TOEFL (SMD school code: 2948, SOPHAS application code: 5688) or IELTS Scores
- Application Fee: $60.00
- Research papers, publications, other original works, as well as CVs and resumes, may also be submitted for consideration but are not required.
- Completed Interviews with three (3) program faculty
- Our Program participates in 2 university-wide interview days as well as conducts Individual Interviews as applications are completed.
All interviews are by invitation only.
The following programs require a writing sample: Epidemiology and Health Services Research and Policy. Otherwise, research papers, publications and other original works, as well as resumes and CVs may also be submitted for consideration, but are not required.
It is expected that all application materials (with the exception of official score reports) be scanned and uploaded to your online application. Please do not include secondary school documentation, financial documentation, etc., as these are not utilized during the admissions process.
IELTS Home of the IELTS English Language Test
IELTS is the high stakes English test for international study, migration and work. Open a world of opportunity with IELTS.
Test your English online
Test your English online in under 1 hour. Get results in 2 days. Accepted by top universities. No test centers, no appointments. Take the test at home anytime. (50 kB)
It is preferred that all application materials (with the exception of official score reports) be scanned and uploaded in to your online application. However, should you need to mail something related to your application, you may do so at the address below.
Graduate Education & Postdoctoral Affairs
University of Rochester
School of Medicine & Dentistry
601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 316-A
Rochester, NY 14642-8316
Destination Phone Number: (585) 275-4522
More detailed directions on applying are provided from the below links from the University of Rochester, School of Medicine and Dentistry:
Correspondence and Further Information
Please feel free to contact the Family Therapy Program directly with any questions.
You may also contact the Office for Graduate Education & Postdoctoral Affairs at any point for assistance (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).