Research Data Storage
Research & Academic Information Technology manages a robust, scalable storage architecture that provides digital storage options for data files, documents, images, video and audio files, and databases available to you for your URMC research, education, and administration work related activities.
The Research & Academic IT group will consult with the individual making the request for storage. They will recommend the preferred option for the specific storage needs. Questions about storage can be addressed to email@example.com.
Note: Any research project requiring storage of protected health information (PHI) or personally identifiable information (PII) must have a documented Data Security Plan.
The characteristics of secure storage for data containing PHI include:
- Redundant hardware with 24x7 monitoring
- Accessible from both on or off campus
- Backed up daily with off-campus disaster recovery (when the data stored is changing regularly)
- Archival storage is available on lower performing equipment without backup
- Available through drive mapping, indirect access via application or database server, and download (eventually synchronization will be supported)
- Can be shared internally and externally through NetID or federated authentication
- Permissions can be managed to address the specific requirements of working groups
Requirements for storage of work related data and files
- Individuals may use their own network directory that is provided for every member of the URMC domain. This individual directory is not shared and is not accessible to other users.
- Individuals and workgroups can use their own shared storage that is also provided for members of the URMC domain. Specific work group access control lists can be requested.
- In no case should a work-related digital asset be stored on a local desktop, laptop, tablet, smartphone, or any other type of portable device without being encrypted.
To request storage please contact us and provide as much of the requested information as possible.