The Colorectal Physiology Center is a unique resource. We offer all of the treatments patients might need within one convenient location.
- Dietary adjustments. Many patients are helped through adjustments to their diet. Our highly skilled staff can help guide patients and educate them in their food choices.
- Medical agents (such as Immodium).
- Biofeedback. This non-invasive form of physical therapy—beneficial in up to 75% of cases—helps to improve sensation and strengthening pelvic floor muscles.
- Counseling. Because of the social stigma of these disorders, our counseling services are an important adjunct to other treatments. We have a dedicated and caring staff that is an excellent resource for patients.
- Surgery. The URMC Department of Surgery offers the most advanced surgeries for colorectal disorders, performed by doctors who are fellowship trained in colon and rectal surgery.
- InterStim Therapy. The InterStim Therapy for Bowel Control system uses an implantable, stopwatch-size device that emits a continuous, mild electrical pulse through a wire to stimulate sacral nerves, which strengthen the pelvic floor muscles and sphincter complex.
Our Non-Surgical Treatments
- Common-sense dietary adjustments
- Non-invasive biofeedback therapy
- Expert, compassionate counseling
Our fellowship-trained colorectal specialists successfully perform the most advanced, effective surgeries to ensure the best possible outcome for patients. Procedures include sphincterplasty, sacral nerve stimulation, and prolapse surgery.