e-CV Web Profiles
e-CV was created in 2006 to allow faculty and clinical providers to specify their Curriculum Vitae (CV) information in one location so that the information could be used for many purposes. The information in e-CV is downloadable as a Word CV document, and is:
- Displayed on web profile pages for physicians and faculty
- Used in the web Find A Physician tool
- Used for NIH Biosketches
- Used in the URMC Research Network system
- Used in Annual Reports
We recognize that e-CV is not perfect and is not customizable to allow for each individual’s preferences. However, we do believe that it does provide value and keeping the information up-to-date in e-CV does help the institution.
The following instructions provide the basics for getting started in e-CV. View a more detailed user guide. You can also read our frequently asked questions section.
If you need help with updating an e-CV, please file a ticket, using the category "ECV Support"
Editing in e-CV
Go to https://ecv.mc.rochester.edu in a web browser and log in with the same username and password that you use to log in to your URMC computer.
Accessing an e-CV Account
If you’re a faculty member or clinical provider:
- Once you log in, click on the "My e-CV" button, then click "Edit My e-CV."
- Occasionally new faculty/physicians aren’t set up correctly in the e-CV and clicking "My e-CV" shows an "e-CV Setup Request Form." If that happens, simply fill out the form and we’ll fix the problem.
If you’re updating e-CV on behalf of a faculty member or clinical provider:
- Once you log in, click the "My Faculty" button to see all the faculty that you currently have access to. The list will likely be empty for new users.
- To add faculty to your faculty list, use the Search box to search the person’s last name. Select the person. Then click "Add John Doe to My Faculty." This will get approved within a day and then that person will be listed on your "My Faculty" page.
- Once you have faculty on your "My Faculty" page, click the person’s name, then click the "Edit This e-CV" link to access the person’s information.
Once you’ve accessed your e-CV by clicking "Edit My e-CV," or another person’s e-CV by clicking "Edit This e-CV," the left side of the screen will show all the sections you can add information to.
For web profile pages, the important information to be sure to update are:
- Accepting New Patients
- Phone Numbers
Additional information shown on the web profiles include:
- Primary Care Physician icon
- Lab URLs
- Awards and Honors
- Journal Articles
Updates to all other sections are not displayed on web profile pages, but they are included in downloaded CV Word documents and may be used for other purposes as well.
Importing Journal Articles
Many faculty have dozens if not hundreds of journal article publications. Instead of specifying them one at a time, e-CV allows an import of publications from PubMed. This will take care of the majority of publications for most medical faculty. To do this:
- Click "Journal Articles," then click "PubMed Import."
- Click the link “Click here to update your PubMed settings," then click the "Add" button.
- Enter a Search Term such as "Doe JD" or "Doe JD + Rochester" and click the "Create" button.
- The e-CV system will import the publications from PubMed overnight. No publications will be assumed to be yours until you "Accept" them after they’re imported.
e-CV will search for new publications that match your PubMed Search Term each night. If any are found, an email will be sent to the faculty/physician/nurse.
View a more detailed journal import guide.
For questions or problems with e-CV, please file a ticket, using the category "ECV Support"
- I made changes to my information in e-CV, so why aren’t the changes showing up on the web profile?
- Most changes get reflected on web profiles after nightly import processes run, so check again the next morning. There is also an “Update Web Profile” button available while editing CVs which pushes most things to the web profile. Photos can take a few minutes to show up on web profiles too.
- I uploaded a photo and it’s not showing in e-CV. Why?
- e-CV uses old photo handling software and as a result it sometimes struggles with modern photos which can be extremely large or have odd characteristics. Try reducing the size of the photo using photo editing software.
- Why can’t I update my Name or Degree Suffixes on the web profile?
- Your name and degree suffixes come directly from either the SMD Dean’s Office or from the Medical Staff Office and must be changed there to be reflected in e-CV.
- Why can’t I update Current Appointments on the web profile?
- Your current faculty appointments come from the SMD Dean’s Office of Academic Affairs. If the information is incorrect, please contact them. You cannot override this information in e-CV.
- Why can’t I update my Board Certified Specialties on the web profile?
- Your board certified specialties come directly from the Medical Staff Office. If the information is incorrect, please contact them. You cannot override this information in e-CV.
- Why can’t I update my Post-Doctoral Training & Residency information on the web profile?
- Your post-docs and residencies come directly from the Medical Staff Office. If the information is incorrect, please contact them. You cannot override this information in e-CV.