The University of Rochester offers
a local Specialty Pharmacy resource to our employees for their specialty medication needs
The Specialty Pharmacy fills medications that are usually high cost and/or high risk medications that treat rare or severe disease states. Many times these prescriptions are not found at your traditional pharmacy and are required to be filled at a mail order pharmacy by your pharmacy benefits manager (prescription insurance).
We are able to fill prescriptions for these medications exclusively for all University of Rochester employees, retirees and their dependents with University Health Plans.
We offer many services and benefits that include:
- An on call pharmacist, nurse, and insurance specialist 24/7 via toll free phone number.
- Demonstrations and education materials on administrating your medications.
- Advice on proper storage and disposal of medications.
- Aid with patient assistance programs to lower cost of co-pays, help during deductible and non-insurance.
- Discounts and percent-off reductions in co-pays for
employees enrolled in
University Health Plans:
- University employees enrolled in University High Deductible, University Low Deductible, or University Copay Plan will enjoy a reduction in co-pays.
- Employees enrolled in the HSA-Eligible Health Care Plan will receive a discount off the usual out-of-pocket cost of each medicine (prior to reaching their deductible) and then a reduction in co-pays once their deductible has been met.
- Retirees enrolled in Preferred Gold HMO with University Major Medical, University Complementary Care Plan with Major Medical, or the University Stand-Alone Major Medical Plan will receive a discount off the usual out-of-pocket cost of their prescriptions prior to reaching their prescription deductible and then a reduction in coinsurance once their deductible has been met.
- A full-service employee pharmacy to fill your other medical prescriptions.
- Free delivery service both to your University of Rochester workplace and to your home. For more information on our delivery service, click here.
- Disease specific programs to complement your current disease management. This will include managing side effects, coordinating care with your physician’s office, monitoring response to medications. We will also provide up to date information on disease states and medications.
The pharmacy is located on the first floor of the Medical Center, just off the South Corridor near the URMC Employee Health office. The pharmacy also has four convenient parking spots in the nearby
Whipple Circle off of Crittenden Blvd
reserved for employees and retirees making pick-ups.
(using a GPS unit, input 256 Crittenden Blvd, 14620 or click here for Google Maps)
How do I receive my prescription serviced by the Specialty Pharmacy?
There are multiple options for obtaining your prescription.
- You will be able to pick up your prescription at the Employee Pharmacy (1-5110A) during their open hours: Monday through Friday 7:30 am to 7pm and Saturday 9 am to 1 pm . The Specialty Pharmacy is located within the Employee Pharmacy. There are designated parking spots right outside the pharmacy in the Crittenden Loop for Specialty and Employee Pharmacy patrons.
to your workplace or home.
- We offer free next day delivery to your workplace. Prescriptions can be delivered to most of the University of Rochester offsite locations. More information can be found here.
- We also offer free delivery right to your home. Home delivery requests must be made by 3pm the day before the medication needs to be delivered. More information can be found here.
Legally, and as a matter of patient safety, medications cannot be returned once they leave the pharmacy and therefore we do not offer automatic prescription refills
Transferring your prescriptions
To begin transferring your existing prescriptions to the specialty pharmacy, complete the new patient form (you may fax it directly to 276-1089).
To speak with a pharmacy staff member, call 273-4767.
Hours and Contact Info
Monday through Friday - 8 am to 4:30 pm
Closed for University Holidays
Prescriptions available for pick up during the Employee Pharmacy hours:
Monday through Friday -7:30 am to 7 pm
Saturday - 9 am to 1 pm
Phone: 585-273-4767 or 1-855-340-4767
Fax: 585-276-1089 or 1-855-810-1089
601 Elmwood Ave, Box 617
Rochester, NY 14642
Strong Memorial Hospital Outpatient Pharmacy
Highland South Wedge Pharmacy
Strong Ties Outpatient Pharmacy
Infectious Disease Clinic Pharmacy
URMC Employee Pharmacy
URMC Specialty Pharmacy
(585) 273-4767 Or (855) 340-4767
Highland Pharmacy at Jordan Health Center
James P. Wilmot Cancer Center Pharmacy
Investigational Drug Studies
- Learn more about your medication
- How much is your co-pay if you are insured by Blue Choice or Medicaid? Find out.
- Find neighborhood pharmacies offering 24-hour prescription service