TAVI (Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation)
What is a TAVI procedure?
Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) is used to treat severe Aortic Stenosis, a condition in which the aortic valve becomes narrowed, obstructing the outflow of blood from the heart and thereby requiring the heart to work harder to pump blood around the body.
TAVI is a procedure performed using the Edwards Sapien Transcatheter Heart Valve (THV), an artificial heart valve designed to be inserted into your heart so that it holds open and replaces your diseased aortic valve. It consists of a metal stent (made of steel or cobalt-chromium) which secures the device in its intended position inside your own valve, and valve leaflets to direct the flow of blood out of your heart.
TAVI now offers effective treatment to patients who are unable to undergo conventional open heart surgery. It is also intended to prevent further damage to the heart from Aortic Stenosis and to prolong life, which medical therapy cannot do
Evaluation at the URMC Valve Clinic
All patients are evaluated by a group of physicians in the URMC valve clinic and is designed specifically to evaluate patients with structural heart disease such as aortic stenosis.
What's included in the evaluation
- Thorough discussion of your past medical history and current medical status
- Discussion of possible treatment options
- Physical exam
- Examples of testing (typically done after the initial visit)
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart)
- Pulmonary function testing (lung testing)
- Cat scan of your heart and major vessel
- Blood work
Who you will meet
- Our valve clinic coordinator, who will assist you with arranging all of your appointments
- An interventional cardiologist: a physician who specializes in procedures of the heart
- A Cardiac surgeon: Heart Surgeon
URMC Valve Clinic Team
Coordinators: Betsy Melito, NP; Melissa Cole, PA; Jemma Stewart, NP
- Your initial appointment with the physician will take about two hours
- Please bring a list of all your medications including dosages and a list of any questions
- You are highly encouraged to bring a family member or friend to the appointment
Directions to Paul Yu Heart Center (Cardiology Department within Hospital)
- Enter Strong Memorial Hospital on the first floor (Lobby)
- Take silver elevators down one floor to the ground floor
- The Paul Yu Heart Center is located to the right
- The parking department offers valet parking for an additional $1.00. Total parking cost is $6.00
- All doors are wheelchair accessible
- Ambassadors are available at the main entrance to assist patients and families
Any questions or concerns please call
Betsy Melito, NP (Valve Clinic Coordinator) at 585-275-0908 or email email@example.com
US News & World Report Ranks URMC Hospital #1
Strong Memorial Hospital is the #1 hospital in the region, shining in 11 specialties.