Invasive Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) Surveillance
To perform active population-based surveillance for invasive MRSA infections in Monroe County, New York.
Goals and Objectives
- Document the incidence and epidemiologic characteristics of invasive MRSA infections in diverse geographic areas in the United States and determine if the infection is Health Care-Associated (HA-MRSA) or Community-Associated (CA-MRSA). HA-MRSA cases are further characterized as Hospital-Onset (HO-MRSA) or Community-Onset (HACO-MRSA).
- Determine the molecular epidemiologic patterns and microbiologic characteristics of invasive MRSA isolates.
Potential cases of invasive MRSA infections are identified by obtaining a weekly listing from microbiology laboratories serving Monroe County hospitals. For confirmed cases, a standard case report form is completed. The case report data is entered into a database and de-identified data is sent monthly to the CDC. Data on demographics, patient outcomes, types of infections and co-morbidities is extracted from chart reviews. Classification of cases as CA-MRSA and HA-MRSA is based on current criteria related to health care risk factors.
Select isolates are sent to Wadsworth Center Bacteriology Laboratory (WCBL) from two microbiology laboratories. All isolates from CA-MRSA are sent, followed by isolates from non-blood sterile sites, followed by a random sample of isolates from blood cultures. WCBL then forwards the isolates to the CDC for further characterization.
- Klevens RM, Morrison M, Fridkin S, Reingold A, Petit S, Gershman K, Ray S, Harrison L, Lynfield R, Dumyati G, Townes J, Craig A, Tenover F. Community-associated Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Healthcare Risk Factors. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006 Dec;12(12):1991-3. PMID: 17326962
- Klevens RM, Morrison M, Nadel J, Petit S, Gershman K, Ray S, Harrison L, Lynfield R, Dumyati G, Townes J, Craig A, Zell E, Fosheim G, Carey RB, Fridkin S. Invasive Mecithillin-Resistant. Staphylococcus aureus in the United States. JAMA. 2007 Oct 17;298(15):1763-71.
- Limbago L, Fosheim GE, Schoonover V, Crane CE , Nadle J, Petit S, Heltzel D, Ray SM, Harrison H, Lynfield R, Dumyati G, Townes JM, Schaffner W, Mu Y, Fridkin SK, for the Active Bacterial Core surveillance (ABCs) MRSA Investigators. Characterization of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Isolates Causing Invasive Disease: A Population-Based Analysis, 2005–2006. J. Clin. Microbiol, 2009 May;47(5):1344-51. PMID: 19321725
- Kallen AJ, Mu Y, Bulens S, Reingold A, Petit S, Gershman K, Harrison LH, Lynfield R, Dumyati G, Townes JM, Schaffner W, Patel PR, Fridkin SK and the Active Bacterial Core Surveillance (ABCs) MRSA Investigators of the Emerging Infections Program. Healthcare-Associated invasive MRSA infections, 2005-2009. JAMA, 2010, 304, 6, 641-648. PMID: 20699455
Contact the Communicable Disease Surveillance and Prevention program at (585) 224-3075 or by email at Center for Community Health.