Honors & News
May 4, 2011
John Nicosia wins BME Faculty Award for Teaching
John Nicosia was the recipient of the BME Faculty Award for Teaching. John was recognized for his outstanding performance and dedication as a teaching assistant for the course BME101–Introduction to Biomedical Engineering. Last fall was the first time a laboratory component was added to BME101, and John was instrumental in the successful development and implementation of the laboratories. John is an undergraduate research assistant in the Dalecki lab and will spend the summer investigating applications of ultrasound technologies for tissue engineering.
April 15, 2011
BME professor Laurel Carney, Ph.D. (with Kelli Summers, and Benjamin Freedman) was recognized by the Student Association as the Engineering Professor of the Year.
Congratulations to the RCBU and BME students whose work was recognized at the prestigious annual University of Rochester Undergraduate Research Exposition 2011. Undergraduate students from RCBU and BME research laboratories participated in the symposium. BME undergrads Benjamin Freedman '11 and Kelli Summers '11 were both invited to speak at the Engineering and Applied Sciences Symposium Talks.
Freedman discussed his work, What is Q-Angle really measuring? A novel alternative to predict patellar maltracking, which received the Dean's Award. Summers spoke about her research with Dr. James McGrath, Mechanisms Underlying Collective Cell Migration in Vitro, which was recognized by President Seligman with the President's Award. Aaron Zakrzewski (ME '11), mentored by Mechanical Engineering Professor Sheryl Gracewski, gave an oral presentation of his research titled Natural frequency of bubbles within rigid and compliant tubes. Aaron also received a Deans' Award for Undergraduate Research in Engineering and Applied Sciences for his presentation. In addition, five of the seven poster exhibitions from the Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences were by BME students:
- Molly Boutin (Benoit Lab) BME '11
- A Polymeric Delivery System to Induce Differentiation in hMSCs
- Jasmine Carvalho (Dalecki Lab) BME '11
- Investigations of Ultrasound Parameters to Promote Spatial Organization of Cells in Three-Dimensional Engineered Tissues
- Vlabhav Kakkad (McAleavey Lab) BME '12
- Experimental Implementation of Shear Wave Induced Phase Encoding Imaging
- Angela Ketterer (Carney Lab) BME '12
- Design and Implementation of a Behavioral Apparatus for Auditory Research in Birds
- Hannah Watkins (Benoit Lab) BME '11
- Novel Parthenolide Delivery System for Acute Myeloid Leukemia Treatment
- (Received the Professor's Choice Award)
- Noninvasive Quantitative Imaging of Collagen Microstructure in Three-Dimensional Hydrogels Using High-Frequency Ultrasound. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. In press. (2014 Dec 17).
- Ultrasound Technologies for Biomaterials Fabrication and Imaging. Ann Biomed Eng. In press. (2014 Oct 18).
- Estimating cell concentration in three-dimensional engineered tissues using high frequency quantitative ultrasound. Ann Biomed Eng. 42, 1292-304. (2014 Jun 01).