Email Configuration - Outlook Express
To Add your URMC email account to Microsoft Outlook Express:
- Open Outlook Express, at the top select “Tools,” and then select “Accounts…”
- When the box “Internet Accounts” appears, click the “Add” button. When the sub-menu appears, click “Mail…”
- For “Display Name,” type your name as you would like it to appear in the From field when sending messages. Click “Next.”
- Enter your URMC email address. Click “Next.”
- For Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server: type “mail.urmc.rochester.edu.” Your outgoing mail server is address of the SMTP server of your Internet Service Provider (ISP). After entering both servers, click “Next.”
- The “Internet Mail Logon” can be a bit tricky. “Account Name” follows this pattern: “urmc-sh\user_id\login_name.” In most cases, user_id and login_name are the same. For example, John Doe’s account would be “urmc-sh\john_doe\john_doe.” “Password” is your email password. After entering this information click “Next.”
- The “Congratulations” screen should now appear. Click “Finish.”
- There are a couple more steps to complete to enable access to your email. Again, at the top select “Tools,” and then select “Accounts…” Select your URMC email account and click “Properties.”
- Click the “Advanced” tab. You must select the “This server requires a secure connection (SSL) box” under “Incoming Mail (POP3). This will change the numbers in the boxes, this is normal and necessary.
- If you wish to have your email remain accessible through Outlook Web Access (OWA) you also need to select the checkbox under “Delivery” for “Leave a copy of messages on server.” Click “OK.”
Congratulations. Outlook Express is now configured to access your URMC email account. If you have any questions/concerns with this process please contact the Miner Library Computing Center Help Desk at 275-6865.