Early November of Year 1
Students will meet with the Pathway Directors, Stephanie Brown Clark, MD, PhD, and Margie H. Shaw, JD, PhD, to learn about the program.
Application Deadline – December 15 of Year 2Students must formally apply for admission to the Pathway by December 15 of their second year, by completing the web application. Ten students will be admitted to this Pathway each year.
- Name and anticipated date of graduation
- Write a short personal statement (1 – 2 paragraphs) about your interests and reasons for choosing the Medical Humanities and Bioethics Pathway, and how you would use the skills, knowledge and experiences from this program in your future as a physician.
- Indicate proposed area of research, community education, curricular development, or other for your Pathway project.
- Identify a faculty mentor. Do not hesitate to suggest a mentor of your choosing.
Notification of Admission to Pathway
January 15 of Year 2
Review of all applications by members of the Medical Humanities and Bioethics Pathway Advisory Committee (names of physicians and community members on Application sub-committee) will be completed by January 15 and all students will be notified by email of the Committee’s decision.
Mentor and Pathway Activities Checklist
March 1 of Year 2
Successful applicants will arrange an initial meeting with their faculty mentor to map out their learning plans on their on-line Pathway Activities Checklist by March 1 of second year. Students and mentors will meet at least twice each academic year or more, as negotiated by the student and mentor.
Pathway Activities Checklist and Project Proposal
August 15 of Year 4
Students must submit the following to the Pathways Director:
- Completed Pathway activities checklist , reviewed and signed by faculty mentor
- Two-page proposal about the final project including a final title, a clear, concise thesis, statement of research or community health issue or question to be addressed, a brief discussion of methodology and sources to be used, reviewed and signed by faculty mentor.
Important: The checklist and proposal must be submitted to the Pathways Director by August 15 to be included in the student’s “Dean’s Letter” for residency programs.
Submission of Required Project
February 1 of Year 4 or earlier
Students must submit their completed project, reviewed and signed by their mentor to the Pathway Co-ordinator by February 1 of fourth year.