Greetings from the Professional Nursing Council
The Professional Nursing Council (PNC) is nursing practice’s Shared Governance Model at Strong. PNC is the avenue for decision making and change throughout nursing. Staff representatives from each nursing unit meet once a month to discuss important topics such as professional development, safety, research, finances, patient and nurse satisfaction, and much more! We continue to strive to report all of the information to nursing practice, and to each nursing unit.
The PNC has celebrated many successes:
- Developing and instituting the Professional Portfolio and enhancements to the performance appraisal process
- Increasing knowledge of the financial costs of nurse orientation, supply and other healthcare related costs
- Increased involvement in community activities
- Improvement in care of the patient with central lines
- Raising money to send a nurse to Honduras through the Shoulder to Shoulder Brigade
- Instituting a new Nurses’ Week award for pioneering in nursing
- Celebrating Nursing Certification and increasing the number of certified nurses at SMH
Ann Zimmerman, RN
Chair, Professional Nursing Council
Kristen Hans, RN, MSN
Vice Chair, Professional Nursing Council
What is Magnet Status?
Magnet Status is an award given by the American Nurses Credentialing Center to hospitals that satisfy a demanding set of criteria measuring the strength and quality of their nursing. This international nursing quality designation is enjoyed by only about 5% of hospitals in the country.