Christopher Beck, PhD
Associate Professor of Biostatistics
University of Rochester
The area of statistical research that most interests me is the analysis of the performance of diagnostic tests. Most of my work in this area involves inference concerning receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curves and surfaces. I am actively developing statistical methods for ROC surfaces that generalize the methodology associated with ROC curves to accommodate the analysis of diagnostic tests that classify experimental units into three or more categories. My other major research interests include change-point problems and clinical trials.
Most of my collaborative work is with researchers in the Department of Neurology and the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, where I hold a joint appointment. I am currently involved with studies in Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, Batten disease, periodic paralysis, orthopaedic trauma care, smoking cessation, and cardiomyopathy. I am a member of an international team of researchers from several disciplines and universities that conducts studies to investigate the effects of neurotoxicants such as methyl mercury on the neurodevelopment of children.
I received a B.A. in Mathematics and Statistics and an M.A. in Statistics from State University of New York at Buffalo, and an M.A. and Ph.D. in Statistics from University of Rochester. I am a member of the American Statistical Association and the International Biometric Society (ENAR).
- Kwon, J. M., Adams, H., Rothberg, P. G., Augustine, E. F., Marshall, F. J., Deblieck, E. A., Vierhile, A., Beck, C. A., Newhouse, N. J., Cialone, J., Levy, E., Ramirez-Montealegre, D., Dure, L. S., Rose, K. R., Mink, J. W. (2011). Quantifying physical decline in juvenile neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis (Batten disease). Neurology 77:1801-1807.
- Wolinsky, J. S., Beck, C. A. (2011). The long march to surrogates of meaningful clinical outcomes in MS trials: are we there yet? Neurology 77:1658-1659.
- Goldenberg, I., Hall, W. J., Beck, C. A., Moss, A. J., Barsheshet, A., McNitt, S., Polonsky, S., Brown, M. W., Zareba, W. (2011). Reduction of the Risk of Recurring Heart Failure Events with Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy: The MADIT-CRT Trial. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 58:729-737.
- Papuga, M. O., Kwok, E., You, Z., Rubery, P. T., Dougherty, P. E., Pryhuber, G., Beck, C. A., Hilton, M. J., Awad, H. A., Schwarz, E. M. (2011). TNF is required for the induction but not the maintenance of compression-induced BME signals in murine tail vertebrae: limitations of anti-TNF therapy for degenerative disc disease. Journal of Orthopedic Research 29:1367-1374.
- Sampson, E. R., Beck, C. A., Ketz, J., Canary, K. L., Hilton, M. J., Awad, H., Schwarz, E. M., Chen, D., O’Keefe, R. J., Rosier, R. N., Zuscik, M. J. (2011). Establishment of an Index with Increased Sensitivity for Assessing Murine Arthritis. Journal of Orthopedic Research 29:1145-1151.
- Dorsey, E. R., Deuel, L. M., Beck, C. A., Gardiner, I. F., Scoglio, N. J., Scott, J. C., Marshall, F. J., Biglan, K. M. (2011). Group patient visits for Parkinson disease: a randomized feasibility trial. Neurology 76:1542-1547.
- Dorsey, E. R., Voss, T. S., Shprecher, D. R., Deuel, L. M., Beck, C. A., Gardiner, I. F., Coles, M. A., Burns, R. S., Marshall, F. J., Biglan, K. M. (2010). A U.S. survey of patients with Parkinson’s disease: satisfaction with medical care and support groups. Movement Disorders 25:2128-2135.
- Adams, H. R., Beck, C. A., Levy, E., Jordan, R., Kwon, J. M., Marshall, F. J., Vierhile, A., Augustine, E. F., De Blieck, E. A., Pearce, D. A., Mink, J. W. (2010). Genotype does not predict severity of behavioural phenotype in juvenile neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis (Batten disease). Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 52:637-643.
- Block, R. C., Dorsey, E. R., Beck, C. A., Brenna, J. T., Shoulson, I. (2010). Altered Cholesterol and Fatty Acid Metabolism in Huntington Disease. Journal of Clinical Lipidology 4:17-23.
- Dorsey, E. R., de Roulet, J., Thompson, J. P., Reminick, J. I., Thai, A., White-Stellato, Z., Beck, C. A., George, B. P., Moses, H. (2010). Funding of US biomedical research, 2003 - 2008. Journal of the American Medical Association 303:137-143.
- Mitsumoto, J., Dorsey, E. R., Beck, C. A., Kieburtz, K., Griggs, R. C. (2009). Pivotal studies of orphan drugs approved for neurological diseases. Annals of Neurology 66:184-190.
- Diener, H. C., Beck, C. A. (2009). Migraine and risk of cardiovascular disease in women: Learning about relative and absolute risk. Neurology 73:576-577.
- Beck, C. A. (2009). Selection bias in observational studies: Out of control? Neurology 72:108-109.
- Dorsey, E. R., Van Wuyckhuyse, B. C., Beck, C. A., Passalacqua, W. P., Guzick, D. S. (2009). The Economics of New Faculty Hires in Basic Science. Academic Medicine 84:26-31.
- Lancianese, S. L., Kwok, E., Beck, C. A., Lerner, A. L. (2008). Predicting regional variations in trabecular bone mechanical properties within the human proximal tibia using MR imaging. Bone 43:1039-1046.
- Huntington Study Group TREND-HD Investigators (2008). Randomized Controlled Trial of Ethyl-Eicosapentaenoic Acid in Huntington Disease: The TREND-HD Study. Archives of Neurology 65:1582-1589.
- Dorsey, E. R., Beck, C. A., Adams, M., Chadwick, G., de Blieck, E. A., McCallum, C., Briner, L., Deuel, L., Clarke, A., Stewart, R., Shoulson, I., Huntington Study Group TREND-HD Investigators (2008). Communicating Clinical Trial Results to Research Participants. Archives of Neurology 65:1590-1595.
- Reynolds, D. G., Hock, C., Shaikh, S., Jacobson, J., Zhang, X., Rubery, P. T., Beck, C. A., O’Keefe, R. J., Lerner, A. L., Schwarz, E. M., Awad, H. A. (2007). Micro-computed tomography prediction of biomechanical strength in murine structural bone grafts. Journal of Biomechanics 40:3178-3186.
- Davidson, P. W., Weiss, B., Beck, C., Cory-Slechta, D. A., Orlando, M., Loiselle, D., Young, E. C., Sloane-Reeves, J., Myers, G. J. (2006). Development and validation of a test battery to assess subtle neurodevelopmental differences in children. NeuroToxicology 27:951-969.
- van Wijngaarden, E., Beck, C., Shamlaye, C. F., Cernichiari, E., Davidson, P. W., Myers, G. J., Clarkson, T. W. (2006). Benchmark concentrations for methyl mercury obtained from the 9-year follow-up of the Seychelles Child Development Study. NeuroToxicology 27:702-709.