Xueya Cai, PhDResearch Assistant Professor
Ph.D. (2008) State University of New York at Buffalo
My research interests include meta-analysis, correlation analysis, generalized linear (mixed) model, and their applications to biomedical and health services research questions.
My collaborations are in the area of health services research, including studies in nursing home quality of care, hospital quality of care of orthopaedic and CABG surgeries, and disparities among quality of health care. I have also worked with investigators in other areas, including MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) infection, care management, pediatric utilities, medication history, PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), psychiatric disorders such as alcohol dependence and bipolar disorder.
- Cai X, Campbell N, Khan B, Callahan C, Boustani M. Chronic Anticholinergic Use and the Aging Brain. Journal of Alzheimer’s & Dementia (in press).
- Cai X, Wilding GE, Hutson A, Java J (2012). Estimation and Testing of the Conditional Correlations Across Continuous Variable(s) for Heteroscedastic Data. Advances and Applications in Mathematical Sciences 10(9):191-206.
- Cai X, Cram P, Vaughan-Sarrazin MS (2012). Are African American Patients More Likely to Receive a Total Knee Arthroplasty in a Low-quality Hospital? Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 470(4):1185-93.
- Wilding GE, Cai X (Corresponding Author), Hutson A, Yu Z (2011). A Linear Model Based Test for the Heterogeneity of Conditional Correlations. Journal of Applied Statistics 38(10):2355-2366.
- Li Y, Yin J, Cai X, Temkin-Greener H, Mukamel DB (2011). Association of race and site of care with pressure ulcers in high-risk nursing home residents. JAMA 306(2):179-186.
- Cram P, Lu X, Kaboli PJ, Vaughan-Sarrazin MS, Cai X, Wolf B, Li Y (2011). Clinical characteristics and outcomes of Medicare patients undergoing total hip arthroplasty, 1991-2008. JAMA 305(15):1560-1567.
- Li Y, Cai X, Du H, Glance LG, Lyness JF, Mukamel DB, Cram P (2011). Mentally ill Medicare patients less likely than others to receive certain types of surgery. Health Aff (Millwood) 30(7):1307-1315.
- Nurnberger J, McInnis M, Reich W, Kastelic E, Fisher C, Erpe M, Gershon ES, Berrettini W, Laite G, Schweitzer R, Rhoadarmer K, Coleman V, Cai X, Azzouz F, Liu H, Monahan P, Wilcox HC (2011). A high-risk study of bipolar disorder: Childhood clinical phenotypes as precursors of major mood disorders. Archives of General Psychiatry 68(10):1012-20.
- Boustani MA, Justiss MD, Frame A, Austrom MG, Perkins AJ, Cai X, Sachs GA, Torke AM, Monahan P, Hendrie HC (2011). Caregivers and Non-Caregivers Attitudes about Dementia Screening. Journal of the American Geriatric Society 59(4):681-686.
- Ohl M, Harris A, Nurudtinova D, Cai X, Drohobyczer D, Overton ET (2010). Do Brief Screening Questions or Provider Perception Accurately Identify Persons with Low Health Literacy in the HIV Primary Care Setting? AIDS Patient Care and STDs 24(10):623-629.
- Vander Weg MW, Cunningham CL, Cai X (2011). Tobacco use and exposure in rural areas: Finding from the behavioral risk factor surveillance system. Additive Behaviors 36:231-236.
- Li Y, Cai X, Glance LG, Spector WD, Mukamel DB (2009). National Release of the Nursing Home Quality Report Cards: Implications of Statistical Methodology for Risk Adjustment. Health Services Research 44(1):79-102.
- Blekher T, Weaver MR, Cai X, Hui S, Marshall J, Jackson GJ, Wojcieszek F, Yee RD, Foroud TM (2009). Test-retest reliability of saccadic measures in subjects at-risk for Huntington disease. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 50(12):5707-5711.
- Murphy TF, Brauer AL, Eschberger K, Lobbins P, Grove L, Cai X, Sethi S (2008). Pseudomonas aeruginosa in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 177:853-860.
- Li Y, Dick AW, Glance LG, Cai X, Mukamel DB (2007). Misspecification issues in risk adjustment and construction of outcome-based quality indicators. Health Services & Outcomes Research Methodology 7:39-56.
- Liang Y, Tayo B, Cai X, Kelemen A (2005). Differential and trajectory methods for time course gene expression data. Bioinformatics 21:3009-3016.
- Cai X, Jin P (2000). The disadvantage of effective rate analysis in patients with different illness status. Journal of Health Statistics in China 17(4):250-51.
- Cai X, Jin P (1999). The method and its limitation to assess agreement using Intraclass Correlation Coefficient (ICC). Journal of Preventive Medicine in China 33(3):175-76.