Robert L. Strawderman, ScD
My major research area is survival analysis. More generally, I am interested in statistical inference for point process data (e.g., recurrent events); statistical methods for risk and outcome prediction in medicine, epidemiology and public health; statistical and computational methods for high dimensional data; statistical methods for evaluating the cost and quality of health care; asymptotics (theory and approximation); and various problems in statistical computing.
- Strawderman RL, Wells MT, Schifano ED (2013). Hierarchical Bayes, maximum a posteriori estimators, and minimax concave penalized likelihood estimation. Electronic Journal of Statistics, 7, 973-990.
- Liu L, Strawderman RL, Johnson B, O’Quigley J (2012). Analyzing repeated measures semi-continuous data, with application to an alcohol dependence study. Statistical Methods in Medical Research, electronic: DOI: 10.1177/0962280212443324
- Lostritto KL, Strawderman RL, Molinaro AM (2012). A partitioning deletion/subsitution/addition algorithm for creating survival risk groups. Biometrics, 68: 1146-1156.
- Johnson LM, Strawderman RL (2012). A smoothing expectation and substitution algorithm for the semiparametric accelerated failure time frailty model. Statistics in Medicine, 31: 2335-2358.
- Strawderman RL, Wells MT (2011). On hierarchical prior specifications and penalized likelihood. Contemporary Developments in Bayesian Analysis and Statistical Decision Theory : A Festschrift for William E. Strawderman. IMS Collections, Volume 8, 154-180.
- Schifano E, Strawderman RL, Wells MT (2010). MM Algorithms for minimizing nonsmoothly penalized objective functions. Electronic Journal of Statistics, 4: 1258-1299.
- Sharef E, Strawderman RL, Ruppert D, Cowen ME, Halasyamani L (2010). Adaptive Bayesian adaptive B-spline estimation in proportional hazards frailty models. Electronic Journal of Statistics, 4: 606-642.
- Liu L, Strawderman RL, Cowen ME, Shih T (2010). A flexible two-part random effects model for correlated medical cost data. Journal of Health Economics, 29: 110-123.
- Johnson LM and Strawderman RL (2009). Induced smoothing for the semiparametric accelerated failure time model: asymptotics and extensions to clustered data. Biometrika, 96: 577-590.
- Clement DY and Strawderman RL (2009). Conditional GEE for recurrent event gap times. Biostatistics, 10: 451-467.
- Zhang M, Strawderman RL, Cowen M, Wells MT (2006). Profiling pharmacy expenditures in managed health care: Bayesian inference for a two-part hierarchical model. JASA, 101: 934-945.
- Huang X and Strawderman RL (2006). A note on the Breslow survival estimator. Journal of Nonparametric Statistics, 18: 45-56.
- Strawderman RL (2006). A regression model for dependent gap times. International Journal of Biostatistics, Vol. 2: No. 1, Article 1. (Reprint)
- Strawderman RL (2005). The accelerated gap times model. Biometrika, 92: 647-666. (Reprint)
- Strawderman RL (2004). Computing tail probabilities by numerical Fourier inversion: the absolutely continuous case. Statistica Sinica, 14: 175-201.
- Jain AK and Strawderman RL (2002). Flexible hazard regression modeling for medical cost data. Biostatistics, 3: 101-118.
- Pena EA, Strawderman RL, and Hollander M (2001). Nonparametric estimation with recurrent event data. JASA, 96: 1299-1315.
- Ombao H, Raz J, Strawderman RL, von Sachs R (2001). A simple GCV method of span selection for periodogram smoothing. Biometrika 88: 1186-1192.
- Strawderman RL (2000). Estimating the mean of an increasing stochastic process at a censored stopping time. JASA, 95: 1192-1208.
- Strawderman RL (2000). Higher-order asymptotic approximation: Laplace, saddlepoint, and related methods. JASA, 95: 1358-1363.
- Strawderman RL and Wells MT (1998). Approximately exact inference for the common odds ratio in several 2 x 2 tables (with discussion and rejoinder). JASA, 93: 1294-1320.
- Strawderman RL, Parzen MI, and Wells MT (1997). Accurate confidence limits for quantiles under random censoring. Biometrics, 53: 1399-1415.
- Strawderman RL and Wells MT (1997). On accurate bootstrap confidence limits for the cumulative hazard and survivor functions under random censoring. JASA, 92: 1356-1375.
- Strawderman RL, Casella G, and Wells MT (1996). Practical small sample asymptotics for regression problems. JASA, 91: 643-655 (corr. v. 92).
- Strawderman RL and Tsiatis AA (1996). On the asymptotic properties of a flexible hazard estimator. Annals of Statistics, 24: 41-63.
- Strawderman RL and Tsiatis AA (1996). On consistency in parameter spaces of expanding dimension: an application of the Inverse Function Theorem. Statistica Sinica, 6: 917-924.
- Milano MT, Strawderman RL, Venigalla S, Ng K, Travis LB. Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer After Breast Cancer: A Population-Based Study of Clinicopathologic Characteristics and Survival Outcomes in 3,529 Women. To appear, Journal of Thoracic Oncology, 2014.
- McGarry B, Li Y, Strawderman RL (2014). THE CARE SPAN – Lower Hispanic Participation In Medicare Part D May Reflect Program Barriers. Health Affairs, 33, 856-862.
- Nyweide DJ, Anthony DL, Bynum JPW, Strawderman RL, Weeks WB, Casalino LP, Fisher ES (2013). Continuity of Care and Risk of Preventable Hospitalization in Older Adults. Journal of the American Medical Association: Internal Medicine, 173(20), 1879-1885.
- Cowen M and Strawderman RL (2013) Mortality predictions on admission as a context for organizing care activities. Journal of Hospital Medicine, 8, 229-235.
- Heisler M, Halasyamani L, Cowen ME, Davis MD, Resnicow K, Strawderman RL, Choi H, Mase R, Piette JD (2013). A randomized controlled effectiveness trial of reciprocal peer support in heart failure. Circulation: Heart Failure, 6(2), 246-253.
- Ryan A, Burgess J, Strawderman RL, Dimick J. (2012). What is the best way to estimate hospital quality outcomes? A simulation approach. Health Services Research, 47: 1699-1718.
- Menda G, Bar HY, Arthur BJ, Rivlin PK, Wyttenbach RA, Strawderman RL, Hoy RR (2011). Classical conditioning through auditory signals in Drosophila: methods and models. Journal of Experimental Biology, 214: 2864-2870.
- Aronow H, Strawderman RL, Moscucci M, Cowen ME (2011). Use of evidence-based medical therapies and the hazard for atherothrombotic events following percutaneous coronary intervention. International Journal of Cardiology, 153: 262-266.
- Smith RL, Strawderman RL, Schukken YH, Wells SJ, Pradhan AK, Espejo LA, Whitlock RH, Van Kessel JS, Smith JM, Wolfgang DR, Grohn YT (2010). The effect of Johne's disease status on reproduction and culling in dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science, 93: 3513-3524.
- Yang F, Licter DL, Strawderman RL (2009). Decomposing trends in nonmarital fertility among Latinos. Perspectives in Sexual and Reproductive Health, 41: 166-172.
- Hubbard BL, Vedala G, Strawderman RL, Cowen ME (2007). Predictors and outcomes of emergency department visits within 30 days following percutaneous coronary intervention. American Journal of Cardiology, 99: 197-201.
- Hong B, Strawderman RL, Swaney DP, Weinstein DA (2005). Bayesian estimation of input parameters of a nitrogen cycle model applied to a forested reference watershed. Water Resources Research, 41(3): Citation W03007. (Reprint)
- Maizon DO, Oltenacu PA, Grohn YT, Strawderman RL, Emanuelson U (2004). Effects of diseases on reproductive performance measures in Swedish Red and White dairy cattle. Preventive Veterinary Medicine, 66: 113-126.
- Stogis S, Hirth RA, Strawderman RL et al. (2002). Development of a standardized donor ratio. Health Services Research, 37: 1329-1344.
- Cowen M and Strawderman RL (2002). Quantifying the physician contribution to managed care pharmacy expenses: a mixed effects approach. Medical Care, 40: 650-661.
- Leavey SF, Strawderman RL, et al. (2000). Cross-sectional and longitudinal predictors of serum albumin in hemodialysis patients. Kidney International, 58: 2119-2128.
- Martinez FJ, Strawderman RL, et al. (1999). Respiratory response during arm elevation in isolated diaphragm weakness. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 160 (2): 480-486.
- Leavey S, Strawderman RL, et al. (1998). Simple nutritional indicators as independent predictors of mortality in hemodialysis patients. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 31: 997-1006.
- Woods JD, Turenne M, Strawderman RL, et al. (1997). Vascular access survival among incident hemodialysis patients in the United States. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 30: 50-57.
- Turenne M, Port FK, Strawderman RL, et al. (1997). Growth and development of pediatric dialysis patients and kidney transplant recipients. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 30: 193-203.
- Strawderman RL et al. (1996). Using USRDS generated hospitalization tables to compare local ESRD hospitalization rates to national rates. Kidney International, 50: 571-578.
- Wolfe RA and Strawderman RL (1995). Logical and statistical fallacies in the use of Cox regression models. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 27: 124-129.