Applications to the University of Rochester/Highland Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program will be accepted ONLY through the Association of American Medical College's Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
Applicants from U.S. or Canadian medical schools must pass Step I of the USMLE exam or Level 1 of the COMLEX exam in order to be ranked at our ranking meeting in early February. We will interview applicants who have not yet passed the exam, but we must have received documentation directly from USMLE by the time of our ranking meeting in order for the applicant to be ranked for the Match.
Candidates from International Medical Schools
Applicants from International Medical Schools may apply for admission to our residency program with these submission requirements:
- We sponsor only J-1 visas.
- You must have passed both Steps I and II of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE), including Part II CS and CK.
- You must be certified or eligible to be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- After completing at least one (1) year of hands-on employment as a physician in a U.S. or Canadian healthcare facility, candidates must submit their applications through ERAS.
- Note: Externships or observerships and clerkships or internships for which the candidate has paid for training do not meet the requirement for one year of experience. The only exception is for those medical schools offering United States clerkships that are completed as a student prior to graduation from medical school.
- As a rule, we accept only those applicants who have graduated from medical school within the past five years.
Further Information Regarding ERAS
- US allopathic and osteopathic medical students: Contact your Dean's Office or Student Affairs Office after June 30 of each year.
- International medical school graduates: Contact the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) in Philadelphia, PA at (215) 386-5900.