- The University of Rochester Internal Medicine Residency Program accepts PGY-1 applications only through ERAS®, the Electronic Residency Application Service administered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). If you are graduating from, or have graduated from, a U.S. medical school, apply to this program by first contacting your school’s student affairs or dean’s office. Ask for information and software for ERAS 2013. Or visit the ERAS website for more information. Click here to begin registering online with ERAS.
- Within ERAS our program is listed as University of Rochester/Internal Medicine. We offer three tracks: UR Categorical at Strong Memorial, UR Research Pathway at Strong Memorial, and UR Preliminary at Strong Memorial. Please be sure to select the appropriate track(s).
- If you are a graduate of a foreign medical school, you must contact the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) for application materials and eligibility requirements. Write to: ECFMG-ERAS Program, P.O. Box 13467, Philadelphia, PA 19104-3467, U.S.A. Or go to www.ecfmg.org. Foreign medical school graduates must be certified by ECFMG, and meet the specific criteria of the University of Rochester Medicine Residency Program, as outlined below.
- We select candidates for PGY1 positions ONLY through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP). We never offer positions outside the match.
- We use email as our primary method of communicating with applicants. Please check your email frequently.
New PGY-1 applications and supporting documents must be received at the ERAS Post Office no later than December 15th.
The following items are required as part of your ERAS application:
- Personal statement—This is a brief narrative statement discussing your interest in this particular internship, plans for residency training, and your career goals in medicine.
- Official medical school transcript .
- MSPE (Dean's Letter) —Ask your medical school to provide a copy of your MSPE. We need it by November 1st.
- Letters of recommendation—In addition to an "official department of medicine letter," request at least two letters of recommendation. At least one of these should be from an internal medicine faculty member at your medical school, or faculty from schools where you have taken electives. If no "official departmental letter" is available at your school, request at least three letters of recommendation.
- For Research Pathway Candidates: Since selection of research pathway candidates will be based in part on their prior research experience, their ERAS application must include a detailed letter from a research mentor describing their research.
- Official USMLE transcript.
- A recent photograph.
Additionally, International Medical Graduates:
- Must be within 5 years of medical school graduation
- If you require a visa, University of Rochester Medical Center supports only J-1 visas for Graduate Medical Education.
Any questions you have should be directed to:
Mrs. Alice R. Gordon, Program Administrator
University of Rochester Medical Center
Strong Memorial Hospital
Department of Medicine Residency Education Program
601 Elmwood Avenue, P.O. Box MED
Rochester, New York 14642