Program Overview - What Makes us Unique?
The University of Rochester is considered one of the top Pediatric Neurology Residency programs in the nation. The following points contribute to this reputation:
- The breadth and depth of the faculty, including internationally recognized teacher-clinicians and clinician-researchers.
- Faculty specialties include Epilepsy, Movement disorders, ADHD, Neurogenetics and metabolic diseases, Neurotoxicology, Acquired and hereditary disorders of myelination, Neuro-oncology, Headache, and Pediatric stroke.
- Consistently ranking as one of the top five neurology departments in the United States for extramural research funding from the National Institutes of Health.
- Ranking in the national top 50 hospitals for Pediatric Neurology & Neurosurgery in U.S. News & World Report (2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12).
- The Department serves as the coordination center for many large multicenter therapeutic trials in neurology.
- The wide spectrum of child and adult neurological disorders seen, encompassing two tertiary care teaching hospitals, an acute care community hospital, and a chronic care hospital.
- URMC serves as a primary referral center for pediatric patients, including not only the greater Rochester area, but southern, eastern, and northern regions of New York State.
- Superb teaching by full-time academic clinicians.
- Continued full accreditation for our residency program with a 5-year review cycle at our most recent review by the ACGME Residency Review Committee.
- The program’s dedication not only to resident education, but resident well-being. A significant amount of training time dedicated to outpatient adult and child neurology.
- A close-knit, friendly "family" atmosphere among faculty and residents.
- No in-house call for the final two (child neurology focused) residency years.
- Significant longitudinal and block ambulatory neurology experience in all three years of the residency, including a resident clinic, and subspecialty clinic exposure.
- The large amount of elective time available, allowing residents to develop very individualized educational programs.
- Flexible residency format such that residents can choose different paths towards the end of their training based on their future career goals.
- The presence of pediatric residents to care for all admitted Child Neurology patients allows the neurology resident to act in more of a fellow capacity, and helps to lessen routine patient care burdens.
- The affordable and high quality lifestyle provided by the City of Rochester and surrounding suburbs.