Information for International Medical Graduates

It is the responsibility of the individual to secure the proper visa. We sponsor only J-1 visas. The University of Rochester policy does not permit H-1 or H-1b visas, nor does it provide sponsorship.  You must be certified or eligible to be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).

If you have any questions regarding visas, please contact the Graduate Medical Education Office at (585) 275-4607.  For information regarding ECFMG certification, visit the ECFMG website at