Living in Rochester
Find answers to many of your questions about living in Rochester on our website about Rochester.
Located on the southern shore of Lake Ontario in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Rochester is a stimulating and progressive metropolitan community. Because of its moderate size and friendly people, it is easy to live, work and play here. Throughout our four seasons, Rochester offers a full array of cultural, outdoor and spectacular sports options, including:
- Community, cultural, film and music festivals
- Performances and classes at the Eastman School of Music
- Home to the Garth Fagan Dance Company
- International Museum of Photography and Film
- Erie Canal cruises, kayaking and bike trails
- Lake Ontario sailing
- Finger Lakes and more than 50 associated wineries
- Downhill and cross-county skiing, snowboarding
- Nationally ranked golf courses
- Professional baseball, hockey, soccer and lacrosse teams
Rochester is also a remarkably affordable place to live and offers a wide variety of housing options. You can choose to live in a neighborhood right next to the University or in a nearby suburb or small town. Visit our Housing Information page to learn more.