Professor of Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Medical Humanities, and Oncology
Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Adolescent Medicine and Supportive Care
Dr. Sahler's research interests are:
1) Chronic Illness
2) Palliative Care
3) Long Term Childhood Cancer Survivors
5) Complementary/Integrative Medicine
7) Chronic Pain
Current research projects include:
1. "Online Implementation of Problem-Solving Skills Training for Mothers of Newly Diagnosed Childhood Cancer Patients". The goal of this project is to develop and test a web-based version of our highly effective in-person intervention for mothers of newly diagnosed childhood cancer patients.
2. "Rochester Area Collaborative Center of Excellence for Pain Education". The goal of this project is to develop five (5) web-based interprofessional education teaching modules focused on pain management. Our project is one of only 12 funded nationally.
3. St. Baldrick's Foundation "Making the Connection: Social Competence of Children Surviving Brain Tumors". The goal of this feasibility project is to teach the principles of inclusion to classmates of a child with a brain tumor.
4. Ronald McDonald Charities (Co-Project Director) "Development of Educational Webinars for Child Life Specialists Working with Childhood Cancer Patients". The goal of this project is to develop three (3) webinars for use by Child Life Specialists on the topics of Palliative Care, End-of-Life Care, and Adolescent Care.
5. Massage Therapy as an Emotional Healer - Teaching massage therapy to parents to reduce anxiety in both parents and pediatric patients undergoing painful treatments.
Knight JM, Lyness JM, Sahler OJ, Liesveld JL, Moynihan JA. "Psychosocial factors and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: Potential biobehavioral pathways." Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2013 Nov 0; 38(11):2383-93. Epub 2013 Jul 08.
2013 Apr 1
Sahler OJ, Dolgin MJ, Phipps S, Fairclough DL, Askins MA, Katz ER, Noll RB, Butler RW. "Specificity of problem-solving skills training in mothers of children newly diagnosed with cancer: results of a multisite randomized clinical trial." Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2013 Apr 1; 31(10):1329-35. Epub 2013 Jan 28.
2013 Apr 1
Devine KA, Heckler CE, Katz ER, Fairclough DL, Phipps S, Sherman-Bien S, Dolgin MJ, Noll RB, Askins MA, Butler RW, Sahler OJ. "Evaluation of the Psychometric Properties of the Pediatric Parenting Stress Inventory (PPSI)." Health psychology : official journal of the Division of Health
Psychology, American Psychological Association. 2013 Apr 1; Epub 2013 Apr 01.
Phipps S, Buckholdt KE, Fernandez L, Wiener L, Kupst MJ, Madan-Swain A, Mullins L, Robert R, Sahler OJ, Vincent N, Noll RB. "Pediatric oncologists' practices of prescribing selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) for children and adolescents with cancer: a multi-site study." Pediatric blood & cancer. 2012 Feb 0; 58(2):210-5. Epub 2011 Jan 31.
Kirby, LA; Oliva, R; Sahler, OJZ. "Music therapy and pain management in pediatric patients undergoing painful procedures: A review of the literature and a call for research". J Altern Med Res. 2010; 2(1): 7-16. Link