Smoking Cessation Resources
If now sounds like a good time to quit smoking, you can tap into many community resources. Here’s one of them.
New York State Smokers' Quitline
Some smokers are more likely to quit with the structure of a group support, but others may prefer to get one-on-one help via the telephone. If this sounds like you, try the New York State Smokers' Quitline. It offers:
- A free starter kit of nicotine patches, gum or lozenges for eligible NYS smokers
- Trained Quitline Specialists offering help with quit plans
- Information about local stop smoking programs
- Informational taped messages
Call the NYS Smokers' Quitline at 1-866-NY-QUITS (1-866-697-8487).
Ready to Quit?
Here are a few good tips if you are ready to quit smoking:
- Set a quit date.
- Tell family, friends, and co-workers of your quit plan.
- Get rid of all tobacco products.
- Know your triggers.
- Drink lots of water and juice.
- Use hard candy or gum.
- Keep your hands busy.
- Begin an exercise plan.
- Reward yourself.