Program Overview - What Makes us Unique?
The University of Rochester is considered one of the top and one of the most attractive Neurology residency programs in the nation. The following points contribute to this reputation:
- The breadth and depth of the faculty, including many internationally recognized teacher-clinicians and clinician-researchers.
- Consistently ranking as one of the top five neurology departments in the United States for extramural research funding from the National Institutes of Health.
- The Department serves as the coordination center for many large multicenter therapeutic trials in neurology.
- The wide spectrum of neurological disorders seen, encompassing a tertiary care teaching hospital and two primary care community hospitals.
- Superb teaching by full-time academic clinicians.
- 100% first-time resident pass rates for the Neurology Board examinations for the past 17 years.
- A close-knit, friendly, "family" atmosphere among faculty and residents.
- Very reasonable hospital "night call" responsibilities for residents, including a night float to cover overnight calls.
- Significant longitudinal and block ambulatory neurology experience in all three years of the residency, including a resident clinic, a faculty practice group, and subspecialty clinics.
- The large amount of elective time available, allowing residents to develop very individualized educational programs.
- A fully integrated PGY-1 year in the Strong Memorial Hospital Internal Medicine Program, with a longitudinal outpatient experience in the Neurology Resident Clinic.
- The presence of Internal Medicine, Psychiatry and Anesthesiology interns on the inpatient Neurology Service at Strong Memorial Hospital to lessen routine patient care burdens and provide teaching opportunities.
- The affordable and high-quality lifestyle provided by the City of Rochester and surrounding suburbs.