Welcome to the Department of Medicine
How do you tell people about the largest academic department at a thriving medical center uniquely positioned for the transformation of health care delivery in the future? The short answer is to briefly talk about the many remarkable things that are happening in our department.
The Department of Medicine at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry comprises nearly 450 full time faculty who work in 13 different divisions devoted to our core missions of patient care, research, education and community outreach.
The goals and missions of the department are lofty. A brief summary of them is available here with some of our most recent outstanding achievements listed below:
- We have one of the country’s most respected residency programs which is consistently highly ranked at the national level.
- We provide patient care across all subspecialities of internal medicine. As the major referral hospital in the Upstate Region we offer multidisciplinary team based patient centered care.
- The HPV vaccine, which prevents the virus linked with most cases of cervical cancer, was developed in our vaccine program and is having a profound effect on global health.
- Through multicenter clinical trials, our department’s cardiologists played a pivotal role in developing national guidelines for implanting and programming defibrillators to improve patient outcomes and prevent sudden death.
- We have one of the largest basic science cardiovascular research institutes in the nation.
- The majority of the Upstate New York Region’s health care is provided by doctors who obtained their clinical training at our medical center.
The Department of Medicine at the University of Rochester Medical Center is embracing the challenges of Health Care Reform. Our department has played a major role in providing high value health care with an emphasis on outstanding quality and stewardship of the nation’s health care resources. The culture of our health system of focusing on our patient’s needs is one of the reasons that health care in the Rochester area is of the highest quality yet ranks lowest in cost nationally.
We welcome you to learn more about our department and outstanding faculty. And we look forward to serving you across our broad missions of cutting edge research, innovative education and compassionate patient centered care.
Paul C. Levy, M.D.
Chairman, Department of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
To learn more about the Department of Medicine Administration, click below to visit their bios.
- Paul C. Levy, M.D. - Chairman, Department of Medicine
- Patricia J. Sime, M.D., FRCP - Associate Chair for Research, Department of Medicine
- Marc N. Berliant, M.D. - Associate Chair for Clinical Affairs, Department of Medicine
- Alec B. O'Connor, M.D., M.P.H - Residency Program Director, Department of Medicine
- Wallace E. Johnson, M.D. - Associate Chair for Primary Care, Department of Medicine