- Make a Gift
- Medical Alumni Office
- Events & Activities
- National Council
- Alumni Council
- Alumni Awards
- Stay Connected
- Alumni Class Reflections
- Alumni Benefits
Match Day 2012
Excitement and anticipation filled the air on March 16, 2012 as the MD Class of 2012 awaited the opening of the envelopes that would tell them where they would be spending the next chapter of their medical careers. View this year's post-graduation appointment list.
This year, we followed 4th year student Amanda Carpenter through her Match Day experience. Take a look at Match Day through her eyes:
Fun Facts About the MD Class of 2012 Match:
- 104 members of the Class of 2012 matched. In that group, 25 will complete training at the University of Rochester Medical Center and 39 will complete training in New York State.
- Rochester students matched to programs in 23 of the states and the District of Columbia.
- The top specialty choices in the class were: Internal medicine (22), Pediatrics (13), Anesthesia (9), Obstetrics and Gynecology (8), General surgery (7) and Emergency medicine (7).
Fun Match Facts About Classes of 2012 Nationwide:
- More than 95 percent of U.S. medical school seniors-the highest rate in 30 years-matched to residency positions according to new data released today by the National Resident Matching Program.
- Of the applicants from U.S. school's who matched, 81.6 percent matched to one of their top three choices. More than 56 percent of U.S. students matched to their first choice. Another 15.6 percent matched to their second choice and 9.5 percent their third.
- This year, the match included 878 couples, an all-time high. Participants who enter the match as a couple agree to have their rank order lists of preferred residency programs linked to each other to ensure that they match to programs within the same geographic area, for instance. This year, 804 couples matched to their respective residency program preferences. A couple is any two applicants-regardless of the nature of their relationship-who participate in the match as partners.
'Thanks a Billion!' The Meliora Challenge Passes $1 Billion Milestone
$2 Million Gift to Support Geriatric Fracture Care and Orthopaedic Research
Golisano Children’s Hospital NICU Receives Naming Gift from Gosnells