UCAR requires that you complete training before you can work with animals in the laboratory and/or gain access to the Vivarium. Anyone who enters the vivarium must complete all UCAR required trainining and must be added to a UCAR protocol.
- Animal Resource Orientation
- Facility Tour (SMD, KMRB, CVRI, or Primate Tour)
- CITI Online Training:
- Investigators, Staff, and Students –Working with an IACUC
- Aseptic Surgery (if performing recovery surgery)
- Species-Specific Training (e.g., mouse, rat, gerbil, rabbit, etc.)
- Blackboard Training:
- MicroIsolator Technology and hands-on
- Rodent Colony Management
- Rodent Euthanasia
- Rodent Recovery Surgery Workshop is required for all new hires that will peform recovery surgery on mice and rats. Contact UCAR@urmc.rochester.edu for additional information on this course.
- Basic rodent handling workshops are required for all new hires that will work with rodents. Contact UCAR@urmc.rochester.edu for additional information on this course.
- Complete the online modification form.
- If working with chickens and ferrets, review the DVD or CD available in the UCAR Office. Return the training media and remember to submit the completed training documentation form to UCAR.
- If working with monkeys, complete the CITI online training and the Primate Safety Training (available in the UCAR Office). Return the training media and submit the completed quiz to UCAR. Contact DLAM (585) 275-2653 to schedule a Primate Tour.
- CVRI Tours are scheduled after all UCAR training has been completed.
Environmental Health and Safety Training
Online tutorial: Environmental Health and Safety Industrial Hygiene Unit Safety Training (if working in a laboratory)
OLAW Training (Web videos)
- Working Safely with Non-Human Primates
- Working with the Laboratory Dog
- Training in Survival Rodent Surgery