Participating in Research
If you have any questions about research study participation or procedures, please contact your study coordinator or study team.
The CRC Research Team
Our research study team consists of a number of professional individuals who will work together to give you the care you need:
- Your Primary Care Physician and/or Principal Investigator (the individual who will lead the project) will work with the CRC Program Director, Dr. Spencer Rosero, to oversee and direct your research care.
- The CRC Nurse Manager, Ann Miller, R.N., M.S., CCRC, will oversee and direct the nursing care that is provided to you during your stay on the unit and are available to address any nursing concerns.
- Registered Nurses (RNs) and Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) will provide nursing care for you during your stay at the CRC.
- The CRC Dietician, Nellie Wixom, R.D., and the Nutrition Research Coordinator, Robin Peck, will supervise the standardization and preparation of your meals.
Admission to the CRC
Research participants arriving for an inpatient research visit on the CRC should go directly to the CRC unit in the Medical Center, ground floor G-5035.
Directions to CRC Unit
From the parking garage, enter the hospital on the 1st floor, turn right and walk through the main lobby past the Main Information Desk. Follow the orange ceiling tags to the ORANGE elevators. Take the elevators to the ground floor. Exit the elevator and turn LEFT. The CRC will be straight ahead at G-5035.
Food and Nutrition Services
During your stay on the CRC you may be consuming a special diet, sometimes referred to as a “weighed diet.” It is designed to meet your dietary preferences and the restrictions of the research project in which you are participating. If you are not required to have a special diet, you can choose your meals from the hospital room service menu. Meal and snack times may vary according to your test schedule, but will generally be provided at regular meal times. If you have any questions or comments concerning your diet, please contact any member of your research study team.
For your family’s convenience, the cafeteria is located on the first floor of the Medical Center, and is open daily from 6:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. There is a Metro Café that is open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., which is near the CRC on the ground floor.
You will have access to a telephone for free local calls. Please contact a member of your research study team if you need to make long distance phone calls. Family and friends may call you through Patient Telephone Services at (585) 275-7575.
Cable television is provided free of charge in each room on the Clinical Research Center. You may also want to bring a book or magazine to read.
Hospital gowns will be provided during your stay, but ask your study coordinator about bringing your own clothes and sleepwear.
Visiting hours in the hospital are from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Visiting hours on the CRC are the same as the hospital, but may be relaxed at the discretion of the Nursing Staff. Visiting hours tend to be more lenient on the CRC than on other medical floors.
Going Out on Pass During Your Stay
Research subjects are allowed to leave the CRC on a pass only if approved by the Principal Investigator of the research protocol in which you are participating. However, all inpatients must be back on the unit no later than 11:00 p.m.
Accommodations Available for Family Members
If a child is a research subject on the CRC, a parent or guardian may stay in the room throughout the night with the child. A lounge chair will be provided for the parent or guardian. The parent or guardian will not be allowed to sleep in the bed in the child’s room.
As you prepare to leave the hospital, here are some things to think about that may be helpful:
- Do you know when you are going home?
- Can you drive home? If not, do you know who will pick you up from the hospital?
- Do you have all the belongings you brought with you to the hospital, including medications?
- Do you have all the supplies and equipment you will need?
- Do you have your discharge prescriptions (if any)?
- Have you identified friends or family to assist you at home if necessary?
Please feel free to ask your nurse for additional help or if you answered “no” to any of these questions.
You will be informed of your discharge date and time. Your discharge plan will be reviewed with you that day before you leave. The morning of discharge you will receive your prescriptions (if any) and discharge instructions. You will then sign your discharge papers and be discharged according to the research study.
We strive to provide the best customer service on the Clinical Research Center. If you have any concerns or questions at any time, please do not hesitate to ask.
Download this information: Research Participant Information
Back to Top
Best Routes to the Medical Center
From the East: NYS Thruway (I-90) to Exit 46; I-390 North to Exit 16 (W. Henrietta Road); cross W. Henrietta to E. River Road; right onto Kendrick Road, Right onto Elmwood Avenue.
From the West: NYS Thruway (I-90) Exit 47; I-490 (east) and I-390 (South) to Exit 16A (E. River Road); right at E. River Road, right at Kendrick Road; Right onto Elmwood Avenue.
From the South: I-390 (North) to Exit 16 (W. Henrietta Road); cross W. Henrietta Road to East River Road, right onto Kendrick Road, right onto Elmwood Avenue
From the Airport: Turn right upon leaving airport. I-390 (South) to Exit 16A (E. River Road); right at E. River Road; right at Kendrick Road; right onto Elmwood Avenue.
The Parking Ramp Garage is located by the Main Entrance to the hospital, off Elmwood Ave. Feel free to visit the Parking Office website for further details and information. This site includes valuable information: parking options, lots and fees ($3.00–6.00 depending on time spent at the unit), violations/ticketing, and special services (e.g., valet parking).
Directions from Parking Ramp Garage Entrance to the Clinical Research Center
- Enter the hospital on the 1st floor, turn RIGHT and walk through the hospital's main lobby past the information desk.
- Follow ORANGE ceiling tags to the orange elevators.
- Take the elevator to the ground floor. When you exit the elevator, turn LEFT. The CRC is located straight ahead at G-5035.
- The CRC telephone number is (585) 275-2907.
Walking Directions to the CRC
CRC Map-Ground Floor
Medical Center and External Map
Google Maps of University Area
Back to Top
Clinical Trials information:
Back to Top