Hire a Data Science Student to Improve Your Research
Students in the Goergen Institute for Data Science (GIDS) are now available for hire on your next data-intensive clinical research project. Graduate and undergraduate students offer data handling expertise that can take your research to the next level.
Whether you are looking for help with machine learning, predictive analytics, querying databases, interpreting data, or advanced data visualization, GIDS students can provide what you need. Students receive training in computer science, statistics, and an application area of data science including biology and other healthcare-related areas. Students are also well-versed in a variety of programming languages such as R and Python.
Students pursuing undergraduate and master’s degrees in data science are available to work on healthcare-related research projects at URMC and other allied clinical departments during the academic year and summer. This service would cost $12 - $15 per hour and the students could devote up to 10-15 hours per week during the academic year and potentially more during the summer months.
Examples of areas where a data science student could add value to your healthcare-based research project include:
- Developing automated computer programs to query a database, pre-process and validate the data, and prepare the data for analysis
- Designing a relational database to archive data collected during a research study for subsequent analysis
- Developing a computer program to interface with laboratory instrument(s) for controlling its operation, downloading data, and archiving for analysis
- Applying open-source analysis and machine learning tools, such as scikit-learn and tensorflow, to tasks such as:
- Classifying data
- Fitting and comparing predictive models
- Abnormality detection
- Fitting time-series models to single/multi-channel physiological signals to detect trends.
If you are interested in hiring a data science student, please:
- Create a job posting using the UR student employment website, JobLink. GIDS staff and faculty can work with you to develop the job description and/or screen candidate resumes. If you have any questions, please contact Ajay Anand or Lisa Altman.
- Provide a copy of the job description to Lisa Altman for distribution to data science students
- Inform GIDS when a student has been successfully hired
Located in Wegmans Hall on the River Campus, Goergen Institute for Data Science is home to interdisciplinary data science research and interdepartmental data science academic programs as well as several New York State Center of Excellence in Data Science distinguished researchers.
Susanne Pritchard Pallo |
You may also like