The Division of Allergy, Immunology and Rheumatology has strong programs in basic, clinical and translational research including an NIH-funded Autoimmunity Center of Excellence. The outpatient practice is located in a state-of-the-art facility with its own infusion center and DEXA scanning capabilities.
The Division of Cardiology utilizes a full time academic faculty with significant research interests and abilities and the clinical and research resources of the University and the Hospital, to provide training programs that produce well rounded clinical and research cardiologists. Our graduates are routinely sought out for top positions in both clinical and research institutions in the region and around the nation.
The department's three-year program consists of two equally important arms: a strong, broad-based clinical education, and an in-depth research experience - either clinical or basic. The first year is nearly 100% clinical. Fellows work in multiple outpatient clinics, and also see inpatients on the consultation service. In contrast, the second and third years of the program are primarily research-based, with fellows spending approximately 20% of their time seeing patients, and the remaining 80% performing state-of-the-art research with one of the many talented scientists at the University of Rochester.
The Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology provides a comprehensive learning program that allows students to fully develop a knowledge base in their specialty through a curriculum that also incorporates clinical and procedural activities designed to promote hands on learning.
The mission of the General Medicine Division is to teach and practice academic general internal medicine while integrating scholarship and research. Members of the Division have been recognized for teaching excellence by numerous awards from the Department of Medicine.
The Division of Genetics offers a wide range of clinical and research electives including dysmorphology, inherited metabolic disorders, cytogenetics, cardiogenetics, cancer genetics, prenatal detection of birth defects, evaluation of regional genetic counseling and regional education for prevention of birth defects, and genetic counseling.
The Division of Geriatric and Aging has pursued premier partnerships that results in the creation of educational programs that help to define new policy and research directions.
Faculty in the Hospital Medicine Division play a major role in educating residents and medical students in the general medical care of inpatients. Each resident team is aligned with a teaching hospitalist, who conducts daily attending rounds. Hospitalists also precept and mentor medical students, direct educational programs for the residency program and medical school, and conduct research on innovative approaches to medical education. Several hospitalists are active on a national level in medical education organizations and have pursued advanced training in medical education.
The Hematology/Oncology Fellowship program currently has eleven outstanding fellows. We feel it is the strength of our program, academically and clinically, which allows us to continue to attract and retain residents from within our own institution. The success of our Fellowship Training Program is a direct reflection on the volume and variety of patients seen within the Hematology Oncology Division and the Cancer Center, as well as the expertise of our faculty and their commitment to teaching and mentoring our Fellows in clinical and laboratory research.
The adult Infectious Diseases Fellowship program provides clinical and research training for board-eligible internists. Previous graduates of our program play leadership roles in both academia and industry. The division also provides continuing medical education to a variety of providers, and maintains an extensive program to provide education in the management of sexually transmitted diseases to non-governmental organizations.
The Nephrology Division has an active educational program that ensures that our doctors aspire to the ultimate level of patient care.
The Pulmonary and Critical Care Division has a long standing commitment to the teaching and mentorship of their fellows, and many graduates of the program have gone on to clinical and leadership positions throughout the country.
The interdisciplinary and internationally recognized faculty of this cluster provides an outstanding training environment which includes state of the art facilities and techniques that span genetic, molecular, cellular and systems investigation of both vascular and cardiac diseases.
The Palliative Care Division works to foster undergraduate and graduate medical education in palliative care and end of life care, and is accomplished through a mixture of bedside teaching, working in a variety of clinical areas, conferences, and grand rounds.
Get In Touch
Click Here to view our Division Directory.