Adjusting Your Knee Brace
To Unlock Your Brace
- Remove the twist screw on each side of the hinge
- With your knee locked straight, push the flat levers down toward the back of the knee. This will allow you to bend your knee
- Remember to re-lock the hinges after bending exercise is completed
To Re-lock Your Brace
- Flatten your knee down straight
- Push levers upward until they click into place and the brace is locked (initially, this may require extra pressure on the side bars of the brace)
To Adjust Brace Placement
If the locked brace is not maintaining your knee in a fully straight position (crucial during sleep), then you must adjust the brace placement:
- Sit on a chair, couch, bed or the floor
- Undo the Velcro straps
- Gently pry the side bars off the thigh and leg cuffs
- Bend your knee and re-apply the bars
- Align the hinge with the center of the knee
- Align the outer thigh bar with the bottom of the side hip bone (you can feel it with your fingers)
- Adjust the inner thigh bar
- Line up the leg bars to your ankle bones
- Re-tighten straps
URMC Sports Concussion Program
Providing evaluation and treatment for sports-related head injuries.
Click here to learn more.
Sports Medicine Residency Program
For information on the residency program click here.