During your pregnancy, our lactation consultants and breastfeeding medicine specialists can answer your questions about breastfeeding and help you make a plan to meet your goals.
You May Benefit from Prenatal Consultations If:
Prenatal Hand Expression
Pregnant women begin producing milk early in the second trimester. Hand expressing this milk can have benefit for certain women.
Review our Prenatal Hand Expression handout for more information.
- You are using any medications/drugs during pregnancy
- You are expecting a premature baby
- You expect that your baby may be hospitalized after birth, or need surgery
- You are expecting twins, triplets, or more babies
- You have had breast surgery, such as augmentation, reduction, or nipple piercing
- You struggled with breastfeeding in the past
- You are unsure about whether you want to, or can, breastfeed
Preconception Counseling, Adoptions, Induced Lactation, and LGBTQI Care
If you have not been pregnant and are interested in ways to provide breast milk to your baby, we can help you achieve that goal. We can help if:
- You are expecting an adoption and you need advice on obtaining donor milk
- You are expecting an adoption and are interested in inducing lactation
- Your partner is expecting a baby and you are interested in inducing lactation or building a co-lactation plan
- You have questions about chestfeeding
What to Expect During Your Consultation
At your appointment, you will meet one-on-one with a lactation consultant and breastfeeding specialist to go over your concerns and breastfeeding goals. The visit takes about 30 to 60 minutes. Our experts will help you make your own "Lactation Plan," which will go into your medical record. It will also be sent to your prenatal office and your pediatrician (if known).
We look forward to helping you through this exciting stage. For more information, or to schedule your consultation, please call (585) 276-MILK. Download our prenatal consultations handout for more details.
Our consultation services are not within the global obstetrics delivery fee and are billable to insurance. We accept most major insurances; please check with our office and refer to your specific plan's coverage. When co-pays/payments are due, we accept cash, check and all major credit cards.